If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury

There may have been a Saxon church here but certainly by 1115 it had been rebuilt, or a new Norman church erected. There is evidence of this Norman church in the round headed windows in the nave and chancel and in the doorway from the vestry into the nave, which was the original outer doorway. In the 13th century the chancel, which has a ceiled wagon roof, was lengthened. There is a wall painting of the late 13th century above the chancel arch, which is a little later in date - c.1320. Much of the church was rebuilt in the Early Engish style and in the 14th century the Trinity Chapel, now called the Lady Chapel, was built on the south side. In the chancel are some interesting 15th century corbel heads and bosses which are likely to be portraits of contemporary local people.

The present north tower replaced the Norman one in the early 19th century. The restoration of 1873-4 was undertaken by Butterfield, who put in a western front of brick, rebuilt the eastern end and added a new porch on the western side of the chapel. There is a scratch dial on the south wall of the Lady Chapel and there are two bells, one of which is of 1692. There had been two bells here by 1553. The parish registers from 1567 (christenings and burials) and 1568 (marriages), other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 4 items found.

Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury
Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury
Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury
Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury
Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN