If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Wootton Bassett

In the 16th century there were some staunch Catholic families in the area. These were the Englefields of Vasterne, the Moors of Little Park and the Cruses of Greenhill Common Farm. Surveys of 1676, 1767 and 1780 show that there were 3, 6 and 4 Roman Catholics respectively in Wootton Bassett. There was no substantial number until the mid 20th century when it was found that a large number of refugee children in the town, in 1940, were from Roman Catholic homes. In 1941 a chapel of ease was built and was served from Swindon. After the war the population grew and a permanent church was built in 1954; a church hall being added a few years later. A new church of modern design was opened in the winter of 1992-3.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Wootton Bassett
Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Wootton Bassett

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Wootton Bassett
Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Wootton Bassett

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN