If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett

It was recorded that there were eight Independents in Wootton Bassett in 1676 but it was not until 1779 that the house of William Armon was licensed for Independent worship. In 1797 a meeting house on the south side of Wood Street, lately in the occupation of a gardener called George Tegle was licensed with John Bartholomew mentioned as the minister. The Congregationalists did not have many members in the first quarter of the 19th century but in 1825 the six members decided to build a new chapel. This was opened in October 1825 and called the Hephzibah Chapel. The new chapel proved an attraction and by 1837 there were 30 members.

In 1862 land was bought from Lord Clarendon and a schoolroom, infants' classroom and vestry were added to the chapel. Two more classrooms were added in 1870 and the Congregationalists flourished in the second half of the century. The Sunday School enjoyed school treats and outings, there was a Mission band and open air services were held in out lying areas. In 1936 the chapel was renovated and electric lighting was installed. Declining numbers in the 1960s meant that one minister was serving both the Wootton Bassett and Swindon chapels but in the early 1970s the Congregationalits joined with the Presbyterians to create the United Reformed Church.

Church Search Results

There were 3 items found.

Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett
Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett
Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett
Congregational Chapel, Wootton Bassett

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN