If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wootton Bassett

In 1824 the Primitive Methodist preacher Mr S. Heath first visited Wootton Bassett and in February 1827 a room belonging to William Ind was licensed for Primitive Methodist worship. Meetings were also held in the Long Room at the Royal Oak; the meeting being part of the renowned Brinkworth Circuit. There was early opposition to the Methodists but in 1831 two houses and a garden were bought for £110 and converted into a chapel for a further £160. It was licensed in October 1831, with William Ind as the leading trustee, and became the fourth chapel to be built in the Brinkworth Circuit. The Methodist cause prospered and in !838 a new and enlarged chapel was built on the same site at a cost of £368. Money was raised by people pledging to raise a fixed sum of money by a certain time.

In 1841 a gallery was added to accommodate more people and in 1842 a day school was built, which had 45 pupils by 1845. The school proved too big a financial burden for the members and it was taken over by the British Society in 1858 and continued on non-conformist lines. There were further enlargements to the chapel in 1858/9 at a cost of £500, and the congregation continued to grow. By 1901 there was a new screen and organ in the chapel and a further extension was needed in 1907. The Primitive Methodists were joined by the Wesleyan Methodists in the early 1960s and in 1964 the Wesleyan chapel was demolished and the two congregations worshipped together as Wootton Bassett Methodist Church in the Primitive Methodist chapel.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wootton Bassett
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wootton Bassett

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN