If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Wootton Bassett

The house of Joseph Dark was licensed for worship in 1815 and in 1824 a license was issued for a tenement in the occupation of George Tremnell. It seems that Wesleyan Methodists met in adapted houses until 1855 when a chapel was built in the High Street at the entrance to Coxstalls. The chapel had its own minister until 1897 at which time decreasing numbers and a lack of money meant that they could not support a full time minister. From then on the church was served from Swindon but support continued to dwindle, particularly after the First World War. In the early 1960s the Wesleyan Methodists merged with the Primitive Methodists and met for worship in the Primitive Methodist chapel. The Wesleyan chapel was demolished so that the road could be widened in 1964.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN