If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Upper Avon Methodist Church, Amesbury

John Wesley preached in Amesbury in 1779 and 1785 but it was not until 1806 that the house of Joseph Edwards was licensed as a meeting house. In 1816 a chapel was built behind buildings on the north west side of the High Street. This chapel was re-licensed in 1838, possibly after alterations had been completed, and in the 1851 religious census there were morning and afternoon congregations of 96 and 100 respectively. In 1864 the congregation was described as 'very active' and a schoolroom had been built. Both chapel and schoolroom were burned down in 1899 and a new chapel of red brick was built fronting the north west side of the High Street in 1900. A schoolroom was built behind this in 1931-2 while in 1961 a hall was built. In the latter part of the 20th century the name was changed to Upper Avon Methodist Church covering Amesbury and villages to the north of the town.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Upper Avon Methodist Church, Amesbury
Upper Avon Methodist Church, Amesbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Upper Avon Methodist Church, Amesbury
Upper Avon Methodist Church, Amesbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN