If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

This small and simple church is first mentioned in 1291 and it was probably established some years before this date, although no trace of Norman work remains. The church was originally held by the Abbess of Wilton and then by the Earls of Pembroke. Today the church comprises a chancel, nave, a south aisle, a south porch and a small octagonal bell turret with the earliest part being the chancel, which is mainly 13th century with narrow lancet windows. It is possible that all the church, apart from the 15th century turret and the brick porch, is 13th century but there has been much 19th century restoration. The two bay nave has two early 19th century 'Y' tracery windows on the north side. There were considerable interior alterations in the mid 19th century, especially to the south aisle and west end, and in the late 19th century restoration the remains of 17th century decorated box pews were used to line the walls. All other woodwork, such as pews and gallery, date from the late 19th century. There are three bells, including two of 1628 by John Danton inscribed 'Praise God' and 'Love God'.


The church is still not connected to any electricity supply and all its lighting (and heating) is by gas, including a gas chandelier.The lights will be in the process of being renovated. The organ also has to be hand-pumped to this day (Church Parish Secretary, 2017)


This was the Parish Church of the renowned George Herbert (d.1633) one of the foremost Jacobean poets. He renovated the church in the early part of the 17th century, and may well have been the one to have ordered the carved pews, now used as panels at the sides. Recent investigations by a silver expert have confirmed that the chalice still used for Communion was one that Herbert used although it is not now kept at the church. Although Herbert is now more popularly connected to St. Andrews, Bemerton (opposite which his Rectory still stands) St. Peter's was actually the principal church of the parish of Fugglestone cum Bemerton. St. Andrews was the smaller chapel, which Herbert used during the week for convenience. St. Peter's is sited near Wilton House, where Herbert's relations, the Earl of Pembroke, lived and who probably played a part in Herbert becoming the parson for Fugglestone (Church Parish Secretary, 2017).


 


The parish registers dating from 1568 (christenings and burials) and 1608 (marriages), other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.


 


Many thanks to the Parish Secretary of St. Peter's for providing us with this additonal information.

Church Search Results

There were 6 items found.

Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton
Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

Image Date: 1860s
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton
Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton
Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton
Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton
Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton
Church of St. Peter, Fugglestone, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN