If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock

In 1849 Captain J.N. Gladstone, elder brother of the Liberal Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone, bought Bowden Park. He built this church in 1856-7 to celebrate the birth of a son in the Gladstone family. The architect was S.B. Gabriel of Bristol who designed it in the Early English style with a Romanesque north east tower. Bowden Hill parish was cut out of the existing Lacock parish to serve between 300 and 400 people in the scattered community on, and around, Bowden Hill. The two parishes were reunited in 1958.

The parish registers from 1863, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 4 items found.

Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock
Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock
Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock
Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock
Church of St. Anne, Bowden Hill, Lacock

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN