If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Congregational Chapel, Zeals

A Congregational chapel was built in Mere in 1795 and its members erected a chapel in in Zeals in 1832. It was in Fantley Lane on land given by John Forward, near his family farm at Queen Oak on Winbrrok Common. This was a fairly slight structure and was replaced by a better building, set up alongside the original one, paid for by Charles Jupe, the silk mill owner of Mere. The new chapel was dedicated on 9th December 1856 and the original building was used for the British School. The chapel continued well into the 20th century but was converted into a private house in 1980.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Congregational Chapel, Zeals
Congregational Chapel, Zeals

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Zeals
Congregational Chapel, Zeals

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN