If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Congregational Chapel, Sherston

In the late 18th and early 19th centuries various private houses were licensed for Independent worship while immediately before the chapel was built services were held in a house called 'Northend' in Back Lane, now Grove Road. Lay preachers, mainly from Wooton under Edge, came to the house and the Rev. Rowland Hill also often preached there. A Sunday School was established in 1822. Later a barn in Back Street, now Cliff Road, was bought by a member of the congregation, a farmer called Cook, and made into a chapel with a vestry. It was licensed for worship in October 1825 and could seat 200. The congregation of small tradesmen and artisans prospered and were able to open a British School, also in Back Road, in 1844 which continued until 1895. Unlike many village non-conformist churches the Congregational church has continued throughout the 20th century and is still prospering today.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

Congregational Chapel, Sherston
Congregational Chapel, Sherston

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Sherston
Congregational Chapel, Sherston

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Sherston
Congregational Chapel, Sherston

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Sherston
Congregational Chapel, Sherston

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Congregational Chapel, Sherston
Congregational Chapel, Sherston

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN