If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Baptist Chapel, Sherston

The Baptist chapel in Back Lane, later Grove Road, was founded by R.P. Tanner and built with money raised through the efforts of Richard Parsons of Westbury, who walked an average of 40 miles a day collecting money to open chapels in Wiltshire villages. There were 150 sittings in the church but it is doubtful if the congregation was ever very large. In 1856 Henry Pugh became minister and remained here for 49 years until his death in 1905. It seem likely that the membership gradually dwindled and those that remained were elderly for the chapel closed soon after his death. It was sold and used for storage, and was later demolished and a cottage built on the site.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN