If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Methodist Chapel, Sherston

In April 1842 the house of John Bressingham was licensed for Primitive Methodist worship while in February 1844 premises were licensed for the Primitive Methodist Connexion. These early members raised money by donations and loans to build their own chapel. Building work began in 1850 at the top of the steps called Cuckoo's Nap in Back Lane, now Grove Road. Funding was also provided from the rent of the adjoining cottages, which were owned by the Connexion, and the chapel opened in 1851. A Sunday School was started after 1878 by the Rev. Morgan and the chapel was heated by a coke burning stove. In 1932 the chapel became the Methodist Church after the union of the Primitive Methodists with the Wesleyan Methodists. The cottages were sold in 1964 for the sum of £460 and this provided the money to build a kitchen and toilets; electric heating was also installed, replacing the coke stove. The chapel has continued through the difficult years of the late 20th century and services are still held every Sunday.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Methodist Chapel, Sherston
Methodist Chapel, Sherston

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN