If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Catholic Church of the Good Shepherd and Our Blessed Lady, Queen of An

Papists were recorded in Timberly Lane in the 1660s and were also present locally in the later 18th century. In the early 17th century the lords of the manor of Standlynch were Roman Catholic and probably used the church there for masses. Standlynch became Trafalgar Park under the Nelsons and in the early 20th century Countess Nelson was converted to Catholism, as was her son, Thomas, Earl Nelson. He used the church at Standlynch as a private Roman Catholic chapel from 1913 and the family gave land for a chapel of ease in Barford Lane. This was served from Salisbury. The present church was built and consecrated in 1950 and is still served from Salisbury.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN