If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Methodist Chapel, Downton

Authorities differ as to the date of building of this chapel but it would appear that members of the congregation from the Wesleyan Chapel on Lode Hill were meeting in two cottages on this site from 1884; perhaps because the Lode Hill chapel was too small for the full congregation. The cottages were owned by the headmaster of the British School and on his death he left them to the Wesleyan Methodists. A new chapel was then built in 1896, replacing the Lode Hill chapel as the main centre of Wesleyan Methodist worship in Downton. After the closure of the New Wesleyan Reformed chapel and amalgamation with local Primitive Methodists in 1932 the new chapel became the United Free Methodist Church.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Methodist Chapel, Downton
Methodist Chapel, Downton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN