If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Woodfalls Methodist Church, Redlynch

A house had been licensed for Methodist meetings in 1810 but the first Primitive Methodist meetings were held under some trees at the western end of the village. By 1832 two cottages were being used and in 1833 a chapel was built at the junction of The Ridge and Vale Road. This was of mud (clay and chopped heather) construction with an earthen floor and thatched roof. It cost £10 to build and could accommodate 200 people. In 1843 it was enlarged and a gallery was added while by Census Sunday, in 1851, there were over 100 people in the congregation for each of three services. By the 1870s the chapel had become old and outdated and a new one, with a room for a Sunday School, was built in more conventional materials in 1874. The schoolroom was replaced with a hall and classroom in 1926. Countrywide the different Methodist groups were united in 1932 but this amalgamation did not take place in the Salisbury circuits until 1940 when the chapel became Woodfalls Methodist Church. The chapel, in red brick with stone detailing, has recently had a new porch with disabled access built.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Woodfalls Methodist Church, Redlynch
Woodfalls Methodist Church, Redlynch

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN