If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

This church was apparently built in the early 13th century and is first mentioned in 1291; the font is early 13th century. The church was in the possession of the Knights Hospitaller for about 350 years.

This small flint and stone church was the subject of only modest alterations until the 19th century. Later windows were inserted in the nave in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries, while the nave was also reroofed in the 16th century. In the 17th century there were new fittings of which a communion table and font cover remain. From the size of the church it is evident that the population of Rollestone must always have been small. The chancel is 9 feet 8 inches by 9 feet 6 inches, while the nave is 32 feet 4 inches long by 15 feet broad. This small flint and stone church was restored in 1845 when the chancel and chancel arch were rebuilt, much of the nave refaced and a porch built. In 1923 Rollestone rectory was united with the joint benefice of Shrewton and Maddington, and in 1970 the 3 ecclesiastical parishes were united, being known simply as 'Shrewton' from 1972. The parish registers from 1654 to 1992 are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 8 items found.

Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN