If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Methodist Church, Pewsey

A chapel was built off the High Street in 1834 and certified on 13th September. In the 1851 church census the attendances were, 55 for morning service, 196 in the afternoon and 234 in the evening. It would seem that Methodism had taken a strong hold in Pewsey and the chapel was too small. It was demolished before 1873 and for a while the congregation shared the Independent chapel in Easterton Lane while a new chapel was built in North Street. This opened in 1873. A schoolroom for the Sunday School was added in 1928. After the Methodist Union of 1932 the chapel became the Methodist Church and was restored in 1962. It still serves the community of Pewsey.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Methodist Church, Pewsey
Methodist Church, Pewsey

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN