If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton

This was built as a chapel of ease to St. Michael's church at Hilperton by some parishioners, who were influenced by the Oxford movement and felt that services in St. Michael's were too low church. The corrugated iron church was ordered ready made, possibly from Harrod's, and assembled by Linzey's of Trowbridge on land given by Lord Long in 1889. Originally there were no seats and people stood for the services. Later two sisters gave money for a stone church to be built, but this was insufficient for a complete church and only the stone and flint chancel was built in 1899, and attached to the 'tin' church, which became the nave. The church has served Hilperton Marsh, and especially the areas of new houses built since the 1960s, during the 20th century. The church is still well used and is also let out as a hall.

Church Search Results

There were 4 items found.

Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton
Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton
Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton
Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton
Church of St. Mary, Hilperton Marsh, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN