If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton

In 1818 the house occupied by James Hooper was licensed for Wesleyan Methodist worship. This was probably the group who built the chapel in 1819 that, on 17th June, was described as a 'new building called a Wesleyan Methodist chapel by the side of the road to Hilperton Marsh'. By 1834 there were 34 members of the chapel and the numbers continued to grow as the population of the village increased in the 19th century. In 1891 the chapel was rebuilt with seating for 300 people. Membership declined gradually in the 20th century, although in 1946 there were still two Sunday services, at 11.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m., a Sunday school, and meetings in the week. Decline in numbers was greater in the second half of the 20th century and the church closed. It was empty in the 1990s.

Church Search Results

There were 4 items found.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton

Image Date: c.1920
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hilperton

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN