If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

In 1827 a Primitive Methodist chapel was built at Clack as a result of Samuel Heath's evangelizing activities around Brinkworth. The chapel was registered a year later. In 1851 this chapel, which is a low brick building standing on the north side of the street, had 50 free and 40 other sittings. On a particular Sunday during that year it was estimated that the average general congregation over the past year had numbered 40 in the afternoon and 100 in the evening, while those who occupied separate sittings averaged 30 persons at both afternoon and evening services.

A larger, more substantial building was constructed in 1887 and was able to accommodate up to 150 people. It was built to the east of the first chapel. In 1907, seventeen members were attending and it has remained open.

Church Search Results

There were 3 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN