If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Providence Baptist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

Isaac Turner of Calne built a Particular Baptist Chapel at Clack in 1777. This building came to be known as Providence Chapel. It is built of red brick and is a high building with stone roof slates and stone dressings. A segmental-headed window is found in a hipped gable-end facing the street. This is surmounted by a wooden bell cupola. Windows below this appear to have been enlarged and a porch added. The ministers' house is attached to it. By 1851 the average congregation numbered 110 persons in the morning, 112 in the afternoon and 50 in the evening service. This chapel was served by lay ministers. A baptistry had been added beneath the floor of the chapel by 1934. Prior to this baptisms had taken place in 'Adam's Dam', a pond near Bradenstoke, or in disused clay-pits at Old Dauntsey brickyard.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Providence Baptist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham
Providence Baptist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Providence Baptist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham
Providence Baptist Chapel, Bradenstoke, Lyneham

Image Date: 2004
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN