If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Congregational Chapel, Durrington

An Independent meeting house was certified in 1821, while in 1824 a chapel, the property of Sarah Blatch of Amesbury, was certified at the junction of College and Bulford Roads in College Lane, now Glebe Road. On Census Sunday in 1851 there was an attendance of about 40 at afternoon service and the chapel was rebuilt or altered in 1860. There seem to have been only four families involved with the chapel in 1864 and it may have been used by Wesleyan Methodists around 1880. In 1891 the Independents were meeting in a building owned by Mr Butler, but after his death they had to find new premises. By 1899 they had become Congregationalists and a new chapel was built in 1905. Land for the new chapel had been purchased in 1901 and plans drawn up in 1902. The site was opposite that of the old chapel. The chapel, with seating for 200, schoolroom and other rooms were in brick with a tiled roof and cost £1,150 in total. It was built in Bulford Road by Mr Burden and opened on Wednesday 6th September with a service and public tea. There was much combined activity with the Congregational chapel at Bulford. A manse for the minister was built in 1963. In 1965 when many Congregationalists joined the Presbyterians to form the United Reformed Church Durrington opted to join the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches instead.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Congregational Chapel, Durrington
Congregational Chapel, Durrington

Image Date: 2005
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Congregational Chapel, Durrington
Congregational Chapel, Durrington

Image Date: 2005
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN