If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Bulford Chapel (Independent Congregational), Bulford

In 1805 two houses were licensed for Independent worship. Firstly a new house owned by James Rose was to be fitted up for worship and secondly the house of Samuel Mould was certified. In 1806 a newly erected meeting house, the joint property of Matthew Devenish of Watergate Farm, Bulford, and Henry Blatch of Ratfyn, Amesbury, was licensed. The chapel also had an adjoining room for use as a vestry. The chapel was rebuilt, with a Sunday School, in 1828 to accommodate more people and on Census Sunday in 1851 there were 119 people at morning service and 128 in the afternoon, only ten less than attended afternoon service at St. Leonard's. From around 1851 until 1955 the minister lived at a manse in the High Street. The church had become Congregational in the late 1870s. In 1965 the church became an independent evangelical church in the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches. The chapel continues today (2005) as Bulford Independent Congregational Chapel.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN