If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

The first record of a church in Kingston Deverill is in Bishop Osmond's register of 1099, when there was a chapel dedicated to St. Andrew. Parts of the present building originated from the 14th century, namely the tower & the two-bay arcade between the nave and the south chapel. The nave, south aisle & chancel were all rebuilt in 1847. The cost was met by Harriet, Marchioness of Bath.

During the rebuilding a Saxon font was discovered buried in the churchyard. This font, renovated in 1982, is still in use. Also of interest is the battered stone figure lying in the chancel. It is possible that it may represent a member of the Vernon family who were patrons of the church in the 13th century. The fine, late 14th century wood carving of the Madonna & Child was presented to the church in 1970. It is thought to have come from a cathedral in Belgium. The colourful east window has three lights, the central one representing Our Lord, with Mary on one side & John on the other. The west window contains some fine 16th century glass, probably of Flemish origin.

For many years the churches at Brixton Deverill, Monkton Deverill and Kingston Deverill were looked after by the same priest. In 1973 all the Deverills churches were merged with Crockerton. In 1996 the Cley Hill Team was created, joining the Deverills with parishes in Warminster St. Denys, Upton Scudamore, Horningsham, Corsley and Chapmanslade. The parish registers from 1706, other than those in current use, can be viewed at the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office.

Church Search Results

There were 6 items found.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN