If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Independent Chapel, Atworth

It is not known precisely when the Independent Church or Congregational Chapel was founded. One source implies 1790/92, but the first meeting house certificate applied for by the Independents was in 1799. The site was presented by a Mr. Barton, and the cost of the building was met by public subscription. A Pastor was appointed, but he resigned in 1816 when it proved impossible to raise his salary to £26 a year. Since then the church has been served by neighbouring preachers.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Independent Chapel, Atworth
Independent Chapel, Atworth

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Independent Chapel, Atworth
Independent Chapel, Atworth

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN