If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Westbury Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Condensed View - Comprehensive View

Westbury

This page is one of 261 pages covering every community in Wiltshire, and is provided by Wiltshire Council Libraries and Heritage. A project to provide a fuller picture of each community is in progress, working on the larger communities first. When these 261, which are modern civil parishes, are completed we will begin work on a further 180 villages and hamlets to provide comprehensive coverage of Wiltshire communities large and small.

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1773:

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1773


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham



From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1810:

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1810


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


This is a corrected and updated edition of the 1773 map that includes the recently built canals.


Map of the Civil Parish of Westbury:

Map of the Civil Parish of Westbury

1890s
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


From the Ordnance Survey 1890s revision of the one inch to one mile map. The civil parish has been superimposed.


Thumbnail History:


The ancient parish of Westbury was one of the largest in Wiltshire. Its 10,000 acres ran from Heywood to Dilton and from Chapmanslade to Bratton. The town was located in the centre. It lies on the exposed edge of the Upper Greensand strata which runs underneath the chalk uplands of Salisbury Plain. The rising of several springs, notably Bitham and Wellhead, provides a good supply of water and influenced the location of the settlement here.

The earliest artefacts found in Westbury have been stray finds, near Matravers School, in Station Road and at the Ham from the Stone Age (4,000-1,800 B.C.). They suggest transient movement rather than permanent occupation and may have been as a result of woodland clearance for animal grazing. Evidence of occupation sites from the Iron Age and Romano-British periods (600 B.C.-440 A.D.), such as a pottery kiln site at Wellhead, used by the Saxons, villa sites at Chalcot and Storridge plus many finds at the Ham and burials at Bitham Park, all surround the town itself which remains something of an archaeological 'black hole' for the pre-Saxon period.

An important early route ran along the spring line in King Chalcot, Short Street, Wellhead and Bratton (near the A3098 and B3098). Another went from Wellhead to Storridge along the route of the present Eden Vale Road and Station Road. A way from Bratton Hill fort to the Ham along Beggars Knoll into Newtown appears to take a sharp bend in Alfred Street before reappearing the other side of West End, represented now by a series of footpaths running parallel to the east of Station Road joining it near the Avoiding line bridge. The deviation may be due to the siting of Westbury Church which, like the town, has Saxon origins.

Its name derives from West Burgh, presumably the fortified place in the west of the county. However, although no evidence of a defended Saxon site has been found it may have been fortified by timber, plentiful in the Selwood Forest which covered much of the north-west of the parish, which has left no archaeological footprint, unlike an earthwork.

In 1086 the Domesday Book, the earliest documentary reference to Westbury, describes an estate of about 5,000 acres, previously held by Edith, wife of the Saxon King Edward the Confessor, but now William I. Its population was probably in the region of 600, including 9 beekeepers (the only ones in Domesday Wiltshire), 29 pigmen and an unspecified number of potters. This suggests a well-developed estate making good use of the natural resources. Pigs fed on woodland vegetation and potters required clay and wood for firing kilns.

The medieval town developed in the areas now bounded by West End, Edward Street, Bratton Road and Alfred Street. A borough was established to create a trading centre based on a weekly market and annual fair granted in 1252 and added to in 1291. It was supported by the rents of properties called burgages whose occupants enjoyed trading privileges in the market. A Borough Court was meeting by the mid 15th century and from 1448 representatives took their seat in Parliament: two until 1832, then one until 1885. Westbury's position as the only parliamentary borough in West Wiltshire is reflected today in the parliamentary constituency being named after it. The institutions of Mayor and corporation appear by the late 16th century but never developed beyond conducting parliamentary elections, participation in which was restricted to the occupiers of the burgages, 61 in 1770.

The borough was unusual in comprising three separate blocks; the main being the Market Square along its eastern and southern sides running out to include Fore Street, Trowbridge Road, Frogmore Road, West End as far as Doggetts Lane on the north side, Edward Street on the south side, and Maristow Street, excluding the side of the corner with Edward Street. The alley between 15 and 17 Maristow Street than ran into the churchyard and formed a boundary of the borough.

Another area known as the Knoll in 1835 lay between Springhill and Church Street and included the site of the swimming baths, on which Jonah Doel, town crier, occupied a house in 1851. The third block was a finger of land, the south side of Eden Vale Road from Springfield Road including the workhouse and extending on to take in 60-80 Eden Vale Road, which are its surviving burgages.

The reason for there being these separate blocks stems from the complicated division of the manor of Westbury into several lesser estates, each entitled to enjoy the benefits of borough status. Ownership of the burgages meant control of the votes at parliamentary elections. As a result of the sale of the manor and borough by the Earl of Abingdon, ultimately to Sir Manasseh Lopes in 1810, political power passed over as well. Lopes paid £75,000 but he also incurred the expense of rebuilding most of the 61 burgages which were largely derelict because residency was a necessary qualification for tenants who were made freeholders for an hour in order to vote. In 1885 the borough was disenfranchised and abolished, the only survivor being the office of Mayor.

Ecclesiastically Westbury was, until the mid 19th century, a 'peculiar' parish, unusual in that instead of being under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Salisbury it was managed first by the precentor or chantor of Salisbury Cathedral who was overseen by the Dean of the Cathedral. The manor of Westbury Chantry was vested in the precentor. Part of its manor house survives as the medieval part of the offices of Pinniger Finch, Solicitors, in Church Street. Just up the street Little Chantry was the farmhouse of the manor, its yard being the builders merchant's yard, which is currently at the early stages of redevelopment to sheltered accommodation.

Westbury was an important centre in the production of high-quality cloths for which the west of England was renowned throughout the world. Originally a cottage industry the weavers brought their cloth to the clothiers' workshops for the finishing processes. Fulling, the cleaning and thickening by locating and washing, was the first process to be industrialised and there is documentary evidence of fulling mills at Bitham in 1573 and Chalford in 1623. John Leland noted the importance of the industry in the town in the mid 16th century. The town prospered as a result until the mid 19th century when more cheaply produced lower grade cloths from northern England provided competition. Angel Mill and Bitham Mill, however, continued in operation until 1969. The legacy of the industry can be seen in the mill buildings now converted to private accommodation. It is also evident in the munificence of the Laverton family of clothiers in providing the Laverton Institute (1873), the Public Baths (1887) and Prospect Place (1869), constructed to re-house supporters who had been evicted by Laverton's political opponent, J.L. Phipps, but with seven almshouses for former clothworkers at the top of the square. The present Laverton Almshouses are located beside Westbury Churchyard.

In 1826 William Cobbett recorded Westbury's decline, writing about cloth mills that seemed 'ready to tumble down as well as many of the houses'. The town's fortunes were revived following this decline, noted by Cobbett, both indirectly and directly by the arrival of the railway in 1848. The line crossed land sufficiently rich in iron ore to make extraction and processing on the spot feasible. Trains could bring in the necessary coal for smelting and take away the prepared iron. The open cast mining left the lakes below the Ham known as the mineholes and tunnels for the tramway under Station Road and Hawkeridge Road.

The railway brought economic benefits to the town in its own right but why was the station placed so far from it? Many have believed up to recent times that the town were represented by the Laverton family who wished to keep this development at arm's length. However, a much more practical reason can be found. The original line was the branch from the main London to Bristol route through Trowbridge and Westbury and onto Salisbury with a branch to Frome and Weymouth. The railway engineers needed easy gradients and the minimum amount of earthworks. The line could not have come closer to the town without causing major difficulties in tackling the rise to Upton Scudamore on its way to Warminster. The direct line from London to Westbury and onto Taunton was not built until 1901. If it had been the first route Station Road might have been a much shorter road.

The pattern of employment in Westbury has changed considerably in the last hundred years. The traditional industries of woollen manufacturing, gloving and iron ore production have been replaced by light engineering and on the West Wilts Trading Estate and the Blue Circle Cement Works. Most resident wage earners, however, work outside, notably in service industries in Trowbridge or further afield.

CouncilWiltshire Council
Web Sitewww.wiltshire.gov.uk
Emailcustomercare@wiltshire.gov.uk
 
Parish CouncilWestbury Town Council
Parish Web Site 
Parish Emailwestburytc@btconnect.com
 

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Population 1801 - 2011

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

 

Maps: listed are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

 

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites. The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

Folk Arts:

Folk Songs from Westbury

Folk Biographies from Westbury

Folk Plays from Westbury

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 154. There are no Grade I listings and six Grade II* listings.

English Heritage and National Monuments Record

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

 

Frequently Asked Questions

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to limit to 'Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre' for branch and re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

Search Community Information Database

Wiltshire & Swindon Archives

Wiltshire Wills Search by name, occupation, or subject for details of a will from this parish held in the Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office.

Genuki Family History - Wiltshire

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library

 

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN