If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Salisbury Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Comprehensive View - Condensed View

Salisbury

This page is one of 261 pages covering every community in Wiltshire, and is provided by Wiltshire Council Libraries and Heritage. A project to provide a fuller picture of each community is in progress, working on the larger communities first. When these 261, which are modern civil parishes, are completed we will begin work on a further 180 villages and hamlets to provide comprehensive coverage of Wiltshire communities large and small.

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1773:

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1773


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham



From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1810:

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1810


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


This is a corrected and updated edition of the 1773 map that includes the recently built canals.


Map of the Civil Parish of Salisbury:

Map of the Civil Parish of Salisbury

1890s
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


From the Ordnance Survey 1890s revision of the one inch to one mile map. The modern civil parish boundary has been superimposed.


Thumbnail History:


Salisbury, the quintessential English cathedral city, is in historical terms a recent creation, being a new town of the thirteenth century. Its name was derived from the latinization of that of a nearby hill fort, Sorviodunum. The hill fort, now known as Old Sarum, was both a natural strongpoint - a salient between the Avon and Bourne valleys - and the junction of several ancient trade routes. The site was developed sometime between 600 and 300 BC, and the hill fort served both as a market in times of peace, and a stronghold for its surrounding communities in times of strife.

For the Romans, too, Sorviodunum was an important market centre, with roads converging on the hill fort from Cirencester, Silchester and Winchester to the north and east, and Dorchester and the Mendip hills to the west, and with a trade route to Downton and the New Forest. The size of the identified settlements - along the Portway, to Dorchester, and at Bishopdown - distinguish Sorviodunum as an oppidum, one of the 'small towns' of Roman Britain. With the departure of the Romans, and the incoming Saxon settlers' preference for lowland settlements, Sorviodunum was more or less abandoned until, under the impact of the Viking invasions, Alfred refortified it. By now known as Searoburh, it served as the stronghold for Wilton, its status enhanced when Wilton's moneyers moved there in 1003.

At the Norman Conquest, Salisbury again attracted the attention of the authorities, and the hill fort became a typical motte-and-bailey castle by 1070: in 1086, the major landowners paid homage to the king there, and it is likely that the results of the Domesday survey were presented in the same year. By then, also, Salisbury had become the seat of the combined sees of Sherborne and Ramsbury, held plurally by Bishop Herman. Salisbury was the central point in the new diocese, and it was adjacent to lands in the Avon valley held by the bishop. The cathedral precincts accounted for about half of the 30 acres within the castle walls. Although it struck contemporaries, among them William of Malmesbury, as odd that a cathedral should be built within a castle, there were in fact two cathedrals built there, and for a time Bishop Roger of Caen was castellan, thus combining secular and religious authority. Had he not, during the course of the civil war between King Stephen and the Empress Matilda, fallen so spectacularly from grace, it is entirely possible that the Cathedral might have remained where it was, enjoying a commanding position similar to Durham's or Lincoln's. As it was, although the second cathedral continued to be developed after Roger's death in 1139, the civilian authorities were markedly unsympathetic to the clergy, who determined the only way to survive, let alone to develop, was to relocate the Cathedral.

Responsibility for the decision to move from the Castle to the confluence of the Avon and the Nadder has to be apportioned between the two Poore brothers, Herbert and Richard, who were bishops from 1194 to 1217, and from 1217 to 1228 respectively. In the years following the Norman Conquest dozens of new towns had been founded: the master-stroke in the case of Salisbury had been to follow the example of Lichfield, where a century earlier a new town had been created around a refounded Saxon cathedral. Not only would the city provide revenues for the maintenance of the cathedral: the cathedral, in turn, would prove to be a magnet for pilgrims. Travel, latterly in the guise of tourism, has been a mainstay for Salisbury's economy since its earliest years.

The site for the new cathedral, although the subject of legends, can be seen with hindsight to be almost a foregone conclusion. The bishop's estates ran in a great block of land from the castle south to the confluence of the Avon and the Nadder, and from the Avon eastwards to the hillslope of Milford. A north-south route ran from the castle to the Salisbury Way running along Harnham Ridge: it was crossed by the road from Winchester via Clarendon running westwards through Fisherton Anger towards Wilton. South of that road was to be the Close, with the first phase of houses for the canons backing onto the Avon, facing the west front of the Cathedral with the ancient north-south route running between them. To the north, the city was planned around a new street - New Street today - running east-west between the original settlement around St Martin's Church, and a river crossing which is the present Crane Bridge. North of that, a great open space would be the site of a weekly market and an annual fair.

By the time of the Cathedral's foundation on 28th April 1220, some houses has already been built in the close, whilst in the town a wooden chapel had been consecrated on the previous Trinity Sunday. Progress on the Cathedral was rapid, with the three eastern chapels being consecrated in October 1225, and the entire building being consecrated in 1258 in the presence of King Henry III. The Cathedral was actually completed on 25th March 1266, having cost 42,000 marks (£28,000). The major differences between the building at that date and the present Cathedral are, firstly, the cloisters and chapter-house, built over the next twenty years, and the spire, built probably during the episcopates of Roger de Martival and Simon of Ghent, completed by about 1330. At 404' (123m), the spire is the tallest in the British Isles, and its survival is due to the bold decision to build it in stone. There is one other difference in the appearance of the close today, and that is that from when the cathedral was built until 1790 there was a free-standing campanile with a 200' spire, standing just across the west end of the North Walk, and housing perhaps as many as twelve bells. With that loss Salisbury is one of the few English cathedrals whose worshippers cannot be summoned by the sound of bells.

Meanwhile, since the city's founding, with Henry III's charter of 30th January 1227, ideas about its scale had changed. Such had been the success of the new city that a grid of five streets from east to west, and six from north to south was devised, on what had been the common field of the ancient parish of St Martin. To the north of this chequerboard layout an enormous collegiate church was founded by Bishop Walter de la Wyle, and dedicated in 1269 to St Edmund of Abingdon, who, as Edmund Rich, had been the new cathedral's treasurer in its earliest years. St Edmund's lay at the city's northern limit until the nineteenth century, just as did the city's first church, dedicated to St Thomas a Becket, at the western edge. A key feature in Salisbury's design was the widespread provision of running water through open watercourses along the streets. There are many medieval new towns built on a grid-pattern, and many more, like nearby Stockbridge, with water running along the main street. Salisbury was planned so that water could be drawn from the Avon as it runs southwards, diverted through the town and fed back into the river as it runs from west to east, and this feature explains why the chequers - the quarters bounded by the streets - are not perfectly rectangular.

The early success of the new city can be gauged in several ways. The Poultry Cross is the sole survivor of four medieval market crosses, the other three being a cheese cross and a wool cross in the market place, and one on the south-eastern outskirts of the city where livestock was traded. The Poultry Cross was originally in the market place, the ranges of buildings to its north and east, facing onto Minster Street and Butcher Row, replacing temporary stalls. The names of these streets - Butcher Row, and the Latin name for Oatmeal Row - date from 1339 and 1455 respectively; those of Catherine Street (originally 'the carters' street') and the Green Croft (originally 'the meal-mongers' street) date from 1339 and 1403. Pennyfarthing Street, according to legend, is named after the daily wage for which master masons living there and working on the new cathedral went on strike. The names of some chequers, taken from inns such as the Blue Boar, the Black Horse or the White Hart, reflect the early importance of travel. Others, named after individuals such as Swayne's and Rolfe's, reflect the economic power of the merchant class whose members were able to amass enough properties for entire chequers to be named after them. The growth of Salisbury's population is a further measure of success: to an estimated 5,000 by about 1400, despite the Black Death, and to around 8,000 a century later at both dates Salisbury was amongst the ten largest English cities. The range of activities of a merchant such as John Hall, whose house is now the foyer of the Odeon Cinema in New Canal, is further evidence of Salisbury's prosperity. Hall, four times Salisbury's mayor and thrice its Member of Parliament, had a ship with which he imported dyestuffs, almonds, fruit, fish, soap, tar and iron, and engaged in piracy on the high seas, and his personal contribution to the royal levy of 1449 was 2% of the total of £66. Other reminders of the city's wealth ranged from the chantry chapels in St Thomas's church, endowed by William Ludlow and William Swayne, to the elaborate processions staged by the city's guilds on major feast days, or to welcome royalty. But the pageantry, the conspicuous wealth of individuals, and the ability of the city to meet royal demands, as when the city provided and manned the warship Trout during Henry VI's reign, all mask a glaring paradox. Throughout the middle ages, the city remained in a state of vassalage to the bishop. Attempts to appeal to royal authority, such as a major stand-off in 1305-6 between the city's leaders and Bishop Simon of Ghent, came to nothing. Even after the Reformation, when the city fathers were quietly extending their powers by expanding their administrative and legal functions, the bishop still claimed ultimate authority, and not until 1612 was the city granted a charter confirming powers independent of episcopal authority.

However, once Salisbury gained its independence, it was not well placed to capitalise on its new status. The engine of Salisbury's prosperity over the previous three centuries had been the wool trade, which flourished from the early fourteenth century as the Flemish textile industry went into decline. Salisbury's speciality was a striped cloth known as a ray, but when changing fashion prompted a demand for undyed broadcloth, Salisbury's merchants failed to rise to the challenge until centres of production and markets had been established elsewhere. The ancient trade guilds, reconstituted under the new corporation as trade companies, guarded their monopolies jealously, and thus had no incentive to respond to the challenge of fashion, and the clothiers were again wrong footed in the mid-seventeenth century, as medleys and Spanish cloths came into fashion. Far more serious, however, were the threats posed by the run of poor harvests in the 1620s, the arrival of the plague in 1627, and the outbreak of the Civil War in 1642. The skill and bravery of the Mayor, John Ivie, in managing the outbreak of plague when all his fellow-members' energies were devoted to escaping the city, can be deduced from the fact that the plague of 1604 killed an estimated one-sixth of the people, whereas the proportion in 1627 was probably less than one-tenth. Salisbury was spared the worst effects of the Civil War, not being fortified, and thus of no great military significance. Occasionally Salisbury featured in the chronicle of national events, as when, after a skirmish in December 1644 Sir Edmund Ludlow escaped the Royalist clutches, or in March 1655, when Colonel Penruddock's rebels kidnapped the Assize judges and the High Sheriff of the county, and freed the inmates of the gaol.

But it was not until after the Restoration that Salisbury's fortunes took a turn for the better, and it was as a result of a social, rather than an industrial revolution. At the heart of this social revolution in Restoration Salisbury was Seth Ward, Bishop of Salisbury from 1662 to 1689, and his circle of friends and visitors. These ranged from Sir Christopher Wren, who reported on the Cathedral fabric, and the pioneering eye surgeon Dr Daubeney Turberville, to the physicist Robert Boyle, and Samuel Pepys. Ward was personally responsible for repairs to his palace to the tune of £2,000 and the founding of the College of Matrons, almshouses for clergy widows. He was a major subscriber to the Britford Navigation Scheme, the success of which was marked, in1684, when two 25-ton wherries docked by Ayleswade Bridge.

The Cathedral Close had for centuries been home to well-to-do secular society as well as the clergy, and with improvements and rebuildings in the late seventeenth to mid-eighteenth centuries, this process of gentrification became far more obvious. It is to this period that great houses like Malmesbury House and Arundells, Mompesson House and Myles Place belong. The process was paralleled in the city, notably with The Hall in New Street, the home of William Hussey, Alderman and MP for the city from 1774 to 1813, and The College (now Bourne Hill), until 1871 the Salisbury home of the Wyndham family.

Similarly, Ward's almshouses were paralleled by a spate of charitable foundations in the city - Blechynden's almshouses (1683), Taylor's (1698), Frowde's (1750 and Hussey's (1794). The greatest examples of private beneficence for the public good come both from the Radnor circle, with the Infirmary (1767) endowed by the bequest of Lord Feversham of Downton (the first Earl's father-in-law), and the Guildhall (1795), the gift to the city of its sometime MP, the second Earl. The Infirmary's motto was 'The sick and needy shall not always be forgotten', and the building, now desirable apartments, still carries below the parapet the legend 'supported by voluntary contributions'.

Social life and the arts flourished in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, similarly encouraged by the gentry and nobility. Charles II stayed in the city in the summer of 1665 to escape the plague, whilst the diarists Pepys, John Evelyn, Celia Fiennes and Daniel Defoe have all left valuable pen-portraits of Salisbury, Pepys in particular remarking on the 'exorbitant' bill for staying at the George Inn. Then, as now, Salisbury was a centre for the tourist trade - the object of Pepys's visit in 1668 was to visit Stonehenge - and apart from innkeeping, stabling and coaching, high-quality craft manufactures developed to take advantage of Salisbury's pre-eminence in tourism. In the words of a contemporary couplet, “Let Bristol for commerce and dirt be renowned / At Salisbury let scissors and penknives be ground” - a reference to the cutlery wares of which as much as £70-worth might be sold to stage-coach passengers as they passed through the city. Lace was another speciality.

Meanwhile, the city's cultural life flourished throughout the eighteenth century, with James Harris, father of the first Earl of Malmesbury, patronising Handel and having a leading role both in the musical festivals held on St Cecilia's Day, and in private subscription concerts. The origins of these events seem to have lain in private gatherings as far back as the seventeenth century: … preached a sermon at the Cathedral for ….. on …., to mark an occasion that prefigured the festivals of the following centuries. The theatre developed originally in inns such as the Vine and the Sun, with stagings of the works of Shakespeare and more contemporary dramatists, such as Sheridan; then, in 1777, the New Theatre opened in New Street, with Sheridan's The Rivals. Salisbury also supported an active press, its first newspaper, the Salisbury Post Man appearing in 1715, shortly after the relaxation of the Printing Act of 1662. The Salisbury Journal, first published in 1729, has appeared continuously since 1738. The Journal's proprietors, Benjamin Collins, father and son, had a diverse range of publications, including prints of the Cathedral, libretti of Handel's works and the first edition of Goldsmith's The Vicar of Wakefield, while the Eastons' output spanned The Salisbury Guide, Cervantes' Don Quixote and the scholarly works of James Harris.

Perhaps the most distinctive and lasting reminder of that age of elegance was the restoration of the Cathedral, instigated by an energetic and reforming bishop, Shute Barrington, and carried out by James Wyatt, the leading architect of the day. At least in retrospect the brief seems to have been Wyatt's nemesis: a generation afterwards, opinion, led by Pugin and others of the Gothic revival, castigated him as 'the destroyer'. But in the context of the age, Wyatt's alterations were informed by sympathy and sensitivity: he preserved as much as he destroyed, and he acted both to save the Cathedral and to reveal its glories. Certainly, King George III, who had given a new organ to the Cathedral as part of the restoration, and his family were most enthusiastic when they visited in 1792, on the completion of the work.

The nineteenth century, like the seventeenth, began as a time of trial for Salisbury, with its industries under threat from the loss of overseas markets due to the continental wars. While the Close supported the wars, the Corporation petitioned the King for peace. When peace came, the initiative in textile manufacture had been lost to those parts of the country where the presence of natural resources favoured industrial-scale production. Meanwhile on the land, the effect of the Corn Laws and the introduction of mechanisation led, in southern Wiltshire, as elsewhere, to distress amongst the agrarian workforce and to the Swing Riots. In November 1830, there was a stand-off between a party of rioters, and a posse of special constables and a troop of the Wiltshire Yeomanry under the magistrate, Wadham Wyndham. In the ensuing Special Assize, two received the death penalty, and 150 were transported.

Matters gradually improved, with a combination of improvements in agricultural wages, and, in the city, various initiatives for the relief of hardship. The 1830s ushered in a series of political and social reforms, starting with the Great Reform Act of 1832, which set the city on a long and sometimes slow path of development to meet the demands of an increasingly complex society. The most serious challenge to the city was the outbreak of cholera in July 1849, and it was met initially by corporate denial, both amongst officials and opinion-formers, namely the Salisbury Journal. But a ringing condemnation of the state of the city's water supply and sanitary arrangements by T.W. Rammell forced the Corporation to adopt the Public Health Act of 1848, and to embark on the necessary works. Within five years, Salisbury had a pure water supply, and over the ensuing decades the open watercourses were filled in and replaced by a modern sewage system which served the city from 1899 to 1961.

The railways arrived in Salisbury in 1847, initially with a branch line from Milford to Bishopstoke, connecting with the London and South-Western Railway's main line to the capital. Soon it was possible to travel to London and back in a day, and special excursion trains were being run. In 1856, the route to the west was opened, with the Great Western line to Warminster and Bristol, and the following year, the line from London via Basingstoke, which proceeded westwards to Gillingham and, by 1860, to Exeter. The effect on the coaching trade was dramatic, and although it survived initially by plying between Salisbury and railway stations, the days of coaching were numbered, with Quicksilver travelling to London for the last time in October 1846.

Improvements in communications reinforced Salisbury's position as a centre of trade and of tourism, and the variety of trades and activities is well reflected in the Exhibition of 1852, which was inspired by the Great Exhibition of 1851. And yet, for example, amongst the textiles on display, that produced most locally was Downton lace, and other specimens came from as far away as Ireland, Scotland and Saxony. As in earlier ages, Salisbury's manufactures were in niche markets, including the Invicta Leather Works, Lovibond's Tintometer for colorimetric chemical analysis, and Burden's clock factory. The other large-scale industries at the time were power generation, brewing and the railways. Whilst Salisbury's population grew from 7,700 to 17,100 during the nineteenth century, that increase was largely taken up by employment sectors reflecting the city's character - the service industries of the railways, the hotel trade, hospitals and schools. By 1899 there were ten national and church schools, and ten independent schools, and now fewer than five colleges. The Fisherton House Lunatic Asylum was the largest private asylum in the country. Meanwhile, developments in ordnance and side arms necessitated an enormous tract of land for the Army's peace-time manoeuvres, and the acquisition of Salisbury Plain for this purpose provided Salisbury with another market in the tourism sector.

The result, for Salisbury, was a spate of growth which took it from its original medieval confines to about half-way to its present size, in area as in its population. The main areas of development were firstly over the west-facing slope of Milford Hill, and the area between the London Road and Castle Street, these being the estate around the Wyndhams' Salisbury home, sold up in 1871. Secondly, because of the rail, brewing, brickmaking and gas industries to the west of the city, there was another area of residential development around the Wilton and Devizes Roads, and at the western end of Fisherton Street and on the Church Fields.

The twentieth century saw Salisbury's prosperity and enterprise continuing, with such ventures as the Burden Brothers' Scout Motor Company. There were blows, such as the railway crash of 1st July 1906, which with the loss of 28 lives foreshadowed more recent disasters, and the five of Salisbury who died with the sinking of the Titanic, but the Great War, with its toll of 459 was to set the city's course for much of the ensuing century. Among the saddest losses in economic terms, was the failure of the Scout Motor Company in 1921, but the post-war economic depression overshadowed the 1920s and much of the 1930s throughout the city. One solution both to the housing and employment shortages was the building of council houses from 1920 to 1930, matched by private development mainly between the Castle and London Roads. Gradually other opportunities developed, with the development of the motor trade, the leisure and entertainment industries, and with national enterprises setting up offices in Salisbury - from Hoover and the Anglo-American Oil Company, to Fyffes, Walls and the British Sugar Corporation.

The Second World War had little direct impact on Salisbury, with evacuations from Portsmouth and a handful of air raids, but with new specialist industries arriving. One of these, Wellworthy, remained in Salisbury until 2000. As has been the case in the past, Salisbury's industry has tended towards niche markets and high added value which nowadays translates into light engineering with a slant towards high technology, characterised by firms such as Janspeed (motor tuning) and Naim (hi-fi). With businesses such as these and in the (commercial) information sectors - insurance, estate agency, finance and management consultancy, and good communications to London, Salisbury continues to be a popular place to live, and continuing housing development has resulted in concomitant population growth - from 33,000 in 1951 to 42,700 today. This growth has had an impact on the infrastructure, and, with the meteoric rise in car ownership, on the road network in particular. The burning issue of Salisbury's perceived traffic problems have been resolved for the time being by the judicious construction of an inner ring-road (1962-1969) and by traffic management measures including pedestrianisation and park-and-ride schemes. The southern by-pass scheme, mooted since before the war and enshrined in plans from 1949 to 1997, was axed by the incoming Labour government, but the simultaneous emergence of plans for the Harnham and Wylye Valley relief roads, and the Stonehenge road improvement scheme has brought the question right to the top of the local political agenda and to the correspondence pages of the Salisbury Journal.


Parish Web Site
CouncilWiltshire Council
Web Sitewww.wiltshire.gov.uk
Emailcustomercare@wiltshire.gov.uk
 
Parish CouncilCity of New Sarum Charter Trustees
 
Parish EmailCTitcombe@salisburycitycouncil.gov

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Barnard Street Church, Salisbury
Barnard's Cross Mission Hall, Salisbury
Bishopsdown Baptist Church, Salisbury
Brown Street Particular Baptist Church, Salisbury
Cathedral Church of St. Mary, Salisbury
Catholic Apostolic Church, Salisbury
Christadelphians, Salisbury
Christian Brethren, Salisbury
Christian Scientists, Salisbury
Church of All Saints, East Harnham, Salisbury
Church of St. Andrew, Bemerton, Salisbury
Church of St. Andrew, Laverstock, Salisbury
Church of St. Clement, Fisherton Anger, Salisbury
Church of St. Edmund of Abingdon, Salisbury
Church of St. Francis, Salisbury
Church of St. George, West Harnham, Salisbury
Church of St. John the Evangelist, Bemerton, Salisbury
Church of St. Lawrence, Stratford-sub-Castle, Salisbury
Church of St. Mark, Salisbury
Church of St. Martin, Salisbury
Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Bemerton, Salisbury
Church of St. Paul, Fisherton Anger, Salisbury
Church of St. Thomas, Salisbury
Congregational Church, Endless Street, Salisbury
Congregational Church, Fisherton Street, Salisbury
Congregational Church, Scots Lane, Salisbury
Elim Christian Centre, Salisbury
Elim Four Square Gospel Alliance, Salisbury
Emmanuel Evangelical Free Church, Salisbury
Exclusive Brethren, Fisherton Salisbury
Harcourt Bridge Road Baptist Chapel, Fisherton, Salisbury
Harnham Free Church, Salisbury
Jehovah Witnesses, Salisbury
Maundrel Hall, Fisherton Anger, Salisbury
Methodist Chapel, Dews Road, Salisbury
Methodist Church, Bemerton, Salisbury
Methodist Church, St. Edmund's Church Street, SalisburyA meeting was
Methodist Church, West Harnham, Salisbury
Methodist Reform Church, Milford Street, Salisbury
New Jerusalem or Swedenborgian Church, Fisherton, Salisbury
New Jerusalem or Swedenborgian Church, Salisbury
Open Christian Brethren, Salisbury
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Fisherton Street, Salisbury
Primitive Methodist Chapel, St. Mark's Road, Salisbury
Quakers, Salisbury
Railway Mission, Salisbury
Roman Catholic Church of St. Gregory and the English Martyrs, Salisbur
Roman Catholic Church of St. Martin, Salisbury
Roman Catholic Church of St. Osmund, Salisbury
Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Redeemer, Salisbury
Salisbury Baptist Church, Salisbury
Salisbury Methodist Church, Salisbury
Salt Lane Presbyterian Chapel, Salisbury
Salvation Army, Salisbury
St. Edmund's Mission Hall, Salisbury
United Reformed Church, Salisbury
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Fisherton Street, Salisbury
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mill Road, Salisbury
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Wilton Road, Salisbury
 
Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Population 1801 - 2001

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

20th Century reminiscences : Salisbury City Almshouse and Welfare Charities; by Almshouse Residents
A description of that admirable structure, the cathedral church of Salisbury, with the chapels, monuments , gravestones, and their inscriptions
A series of particular and useful observations made with great diligence and care, upon that admirable structure, the Cathedral Church of Salisbury
A survey of Salisbury Railways and Market House
An historical and descriptive account of Old and New Sarum or Salisbury
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South-West England ( Pages 234 - 235)
An old house in The Close : [ Number 47, The Close, Salisbury]
Before I forget
Benjamin Banks 1727 - 1795 : the Salisbury violin maker : a detailed survey of his work, life and environment
Bishop Wordsworth's School, 1890 - 1950
Celebrating Salisbury nurses : a series of personal reflections and stories
Chained to Sarum : what the Mayoress saw, 1958 - 9
Child of the Red Lion : an hotelier's story
Clocks and clockmakers of Salisbury : 600 years of skill and invention
Endless Street : a history of Salisbury and its people
Exploring Historic Wiltshire, Vol. 1, North
Exploring Historic Wiltshire, Vol. 2, South
Fourteen to eighty-four
Francis Frith's Around Salisbury
From Salisbury to Exeter : the branch lines
Higgins and Son : the story of a Salisbury pharmacy
Highways and Byways in Wiltshire ( Pages 8 - 76)
Historic Spots in Wiltshire ( Pages 79 - 85)
I remember, I remember : the story of my boyhood in Salisbury
Life of Henry Fawcett
List of buildings of special architectural or historic interest : City of New Sarum ( Salisbury), Wiltshire
Lovibonds : family brewers and wine merchants
Memoirs of an ex-Minister : an autobiography ( 2 vols)
Moonraker Firemen (of the past) ( Pages 139 - 148)
Music and theatre in Handel's world : the papers of James Harris and his family, 1732 - 1780
Notes on St. Martin's Church and Parish
One man and his construction company : Reed and Mallik, 1937 - 1968
Roger of Salisbury, first bishop of Bath and Wells, 1244 - 1247
Round About Wiltshire ( Pages 281 - 311)
Salisbury : a guide to the history of the city and its people
Salisbury : a new approach to the City and its neighbourhood
Salisbury : Great Western Railway and London and South Western Railway [Southern Railway]
Salisbury : history and guide
Salisbury : some architecture in the city and The Close
Salisbury : the history of an English Cathedral City
Salisbury : the houses of the Close
Salisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral : a landmark in England's Heritage
Salisbury Cathedral : perspectives on the architectural history
Salisbury Cathedral : the West Front : a history and study in conservation
Salisbury Cathedral pictured and described
Salisbury gasworks : the Salisbury Gas, Light and Coke Company
Salisbury Gunsmiths
Salisbury Historic Buildings Survey
Salisbury illustrated : the city's heritage in prints and drawings
Salisbury in old photographs
Salisbury in old picture postcards
Salisbury Past
Sarum Close : a history of the life and education of the Cathedral choristers for 700 years
Sumptuous and richly adorn'd : the decoration of Salisbury Cathedral
Sunshine and Shadows
The ancient trade guilds and companies of Salisbury
The Beauties of Wiltshire (3 Vols) (Vol. 1, Pages 43 - 93)
The Buildings of Salisbury
The Cathedrals of England ( Pages 154 - 163)
The Church Bells of Wiltshire : their inscription and history ( Pages 167 - 194)
The Church Plate of the County of Wilts ( Pages 1 - 22)
The course of my life : my autobiography
The diary of Thomas Naish
The first 100 years : copy of a short survey of the work of the Salisbury Railway and Market House Company
The glories of Salisbury Cathedral
The Godolphin School, 1726 - 1926
The Graphic Guide to Salisbury : the Cathedral, the city, the antiquities, the country seats, the military camps.
The history and antiquities of the Cathedral Church of Salisbury
The history of Salisbury Infirmary
The history of Scout Motors Limited of Salisbury
The Illustrated Portrait of Wiltshire ( Pages 25 - 63)
The Inns of Salisbury
The John Marsh journals : the life and times of a Georgian gentleman composer (1752 - 1828) ( Pages 143 - 282)
The Monumental Brasses of Wiltshire
The Old Manor Hospital, Salisbury : a glimpse into the past
The Old Manor Hospital, Salisbury, Wilts : private madhouse, licensed house, psychiatric hospital
The popular history of Old and New Sarum
The story of the Salisbury to Exeter line
The Victoria History of Wiltshire Vol. 6 ( Pages 51 - 194)
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, Vol. 4
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, Vol. 4
Under Salisbury spire : memories from the late twenties to the first year of World War II
William Longespee, Earl of Salisbury
Wiltshire ( Buildings of England series) ( Pages 385 - 462), revised by Bridget Cherry
Wiltshire and Somerset Woollen Mills ( Pages 253 - 256)
Wiltshire Newspapers - Past and Present: the Salisbury Post Man
Wiltshire Schools : a short history
Wiltshire Towns : the archaeological potential ( Pages 51 - 54)
Wiltshire Villages
 

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

NewspaperPeriod
  
Salisbury Journal 1738
Salisbury Times 1898 to 2000
Avon Advertiser 1979
Salisbury & Wiltshire Herald 1833 to 1852
Sherborne Mercury 1737 to 1867
 

Maps: listed below are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Map Type Map Sheet Reference
 
O.S. National Grid Reference SU 145300
O.S. 25 inch County Series 1870s-194066/11
O.S. 6 inch County Series 1870s-194066
O.S. 1:2500 metric edition; 1950s onwardSU 1228-1328; 1428-1528; 1229-1329; 1429-1529; 1330-1430; 1530-1630; 1031-1131; 1231-1331; 1431-1531
O.S. 1:10000 metric edition; 1950s onwardSU 13 SW; SU 13 SE; SU 12 NW; SU 12 NE
O.S. Explorer130
O.S. Landranger184
Geological Sheet298

Map of Salisbury


View Larger Map (opens in new window)


Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Salisbury

From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
  • Wiki
  • Wiki DE
  • Photos
  • Popular
  • Video
  • Webcams


View Larger Map (opens in new window)

 

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites.

The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

Folk Arts:

Folk Songs from Salisbury

Song Title

Roud No.

Collected From

Community

County

Collected By

Adieu my lovely Nancy

00165

Shears, Charles

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, G B

Bonny bunch of roses

00664

Pearce, Maria

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

Buffalo

01026

Leary, Mr.

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

Come all you young ladies and gentlemen

01507

Shears, Charles

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

Elwina of Waterloo

00622

Leary, Mr.

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

Ground for the floor

01269

Coombes, Elias

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

I am a rover

01112

Shears, Charles

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Isle of France

01575

Blake, William

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

Lisbon

00551

Newman, William

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, G B

Lord Bateman

00040

Mitchell, John

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Vaughan-Williams, Ralph

Oxford City

00218

Newman, William

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Streams of lovely Nancy

00688

Shears, Charles

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Unfortunate lass

00002

Shears, Charles

Salisbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Folk Biographies from Salisbury

NameLocation/CommunityDate of Birth

Blake, William

Salisbury

1828

Coombes, Elias

Salisbury

1840

Leary, Mr.

Salisbury

0

Mitchell, John

Salisbury

1833

Newman, William

Salisbury

1829

Pearce, Maria

Salisbury

1829

Shears, Charles

Salisbury

1826

Shergold, E. Mr.

Salisbury

1824

Smith, Frederick

Salisbury

1853

Folk Plays from Salisbury

Play Title

Alt Play Title

Location

Words From

Mummers' play

Salisbury

Unknown

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham’.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed as being of architectural or historical importance is 653.

There are 37 Grade I listings; Old Sarum, the Cathedral Church of St. Mary, the Close Wall, Bishop's Gate, the Cathedral School, St. Anne's Gate, Malmesbury House, 19 The Close (Theological College), 39 - 46 The Close and their Fourecourt Walls, North Gate, Mompesson House, 54 The Close, 56A and 56B The Close, 56C The Close (Wren Hall), 57, 57A and 57B The Close (Braybrooke House), 65 The Close (King's House), 68 The Close, 69 The Close (Walton Canonry), 70 The Close (Leaden Hall), South Gate House and 74 The Close, Crane Bridge, 91 Crane Street, 99 and 101 Crane Street, 15 and 17 High Street (Old George Inn), Milford Mill Bridge, John Halle's House, 4 New Street, 56 and 58 St. Ann Street (Joiner's Hall), 9 St. John's Street (King's Arms), Old Harnham Bridge, St. Thomas's Church, the Poultry Cross, Church of St. Lawrence, West Harnham Mill, Trinity Almshouses.

There are 122 Grade II* listings.

English Heritage and National Monuments Record

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Anthony Trollope, 1815-1882, Novelist; conceived idea for The Warden when walking alongside R. Avon near The Close.
George Herbert, 1593-1633 , Poet; rector of Bemerton
Henry Fielding, 1707-1754, Novelist;, married a Miss Craddock of Salisbury, lived in 3 houses in the city, wrote part of Tom Jones (1749) at Milford.
James Harris, 1709-1780 , Grammarian; born in The Close. Wrote Hermes, or a Philosophical Inquiry concerning Universal Grammar (1751)
John Foxe, 1516-1587 , Martyrologist, canon of Salisbury Cathedral from 1563
John Jewel, 1522-1571 , Theologian; bishop of Salisbury 1560-1571
John of Salisbury, c.1118-1180 , Scholar and statesman; born at, or near, Old Sarum
John Thornborough, 1551-1641 , Churchman and radical writer; born in Salisbury
John Tobin, 1770-1804 , Dramatist; born at Salisbury
Michael Maschiart, d. 1598 , Latin poet; born in Salisbury.
Philip Massinger, 1583-1640 , Dramatist; born at Salisbury
Richard Hayter, 1611-1684 , Theological writer born in Salisbury.
Sir Tobie Matthew, 1577-1655 , Catholic churchman and polemicist; born in Salisbury.
Thomas Bennet, 1673-1728 , Religious polemicist; born in Salisbury.
William Coxe, 1747-1828 , Historian; died in Salisbury
William Golding, 1911-1993 , Novelist; teacher in Salisbury

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Susan Howatch, Glittering Images, 1987
Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscure, 1896
Edward Rutherfurd, Sarum, 1987
William Golding, The Spire, 1964
Emma Marshall, Under Salisbury Spire in the Days of George Herbert., 1898

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Current District:Salisbury
Address:The Laburnums 50 Bedwin Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3UW
Former District:Alderbury to 1896

Frequently Asked Questions

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

Search Community Information Database

Wiltshire & Swindon Archives

Wiltshire Wills Search by name, occupation, or subject for details of a will from this parish held in the Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office.

Genuki Family History - Wiltshire

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN