If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Shrewton Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Comprehensive View - Condensed View


This page is one of 261 pages covering every community in Wiltshire, and is provided by Wiltshire Council Libraries and Heritage. A project to provide a fuller picture of each community is in progress, working on the larger communities first. When these 261, which are modern civil parishes, are completed we will begin work on a further 180 villages and hamlets to provide comprehensive coverage of Wiltshire communities large and small.

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1773:

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1773

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1810:

From Andrews' and Dury's Map of Wiltshire, 1810

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham

This is a corrected and updated edition of the 1773 map that includes the recently built canals.

Map of the Civil Parish of Shrewton:

Map of the Civil Parish of Shrewton

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre

From the Ordnance Survey 1890s revision of the one inch to one mile map. The modern civil parish boundary has been superimposed.

Thumbnail History:

The village of Shrewton is actually made up of at least seven early communities and was, until 1934, three separate parishes. It is set in the middle of Salisbury Plain, to the north of the present A303. It has grown up around the River Till and associated dry valleys, in which a layer of gravel covers the chalk of the Plain. In the Domesday Book all the settlements here were called 'Winterbourne', indicating that the river could be dry in summer. Till is a later name that is derived from the place-name of Tilshead.

The three main Winterbourne estates became: Shrewton, the Sheriff's town from 1236 as it was held by Edward of Salisbury in 1086 and he and his successors were Sheriffs of Wiltshire; Maddington was the Maidens' town and was formerly Maiden Winterbourne, having been in the possession of Amesbury nunnery; Rollestone is named from the tenant of the manor in the 1240s. Shrewton contained the hamlet of Netton, which now survives in the names of farms, downland and road, while Maddington contained Bourton, Addestone and Homanton, each with a strip of land from the River Till in the east to the downs in the west. Major roads across the parish were the east to west road from London to Bridgwater via Amesbury and Warminster from the 17th century and the Southampton-Bristol road, which had become less important by the 18th century. The Devizes-Salisbury road had a new route through the parish in c.1900. There were also many local tracks and roads across the Plain.

There is reasonable evidence of prehistoric activity within the modern parish. The Neolithic causeway camp of Robin Hood's Ball has 5 barrows nearby while, closer to Stonehenge, there are many barrows on Rollestone Down. A field system in the north, prehistoric ploughing on Maddington Down and enclosure in the south-east are all indicators that there was substantial activity here in prehistory. Roman coins have been found in both Shrewton and Maddington while some Romano-British pottery has been uncovered in the south-east of Maddington. Pagan Saxon artefacts have also been found.

There was a substantial settlement here in later Saxon times, probably corresponding to the seven estates mentioned in the Domesday book, but it is not known if a church existed in any of the larger settlements. In 1086 there were three estates in Shrewton, two in Maddington, plus Addestone and Rollestone. In total there was enough arable land for 21 ploughteams and the total population is given as 25 villeins, 29 bordars, 2 cottars and 20 serfs. Using modern population interpretation of Domesday figures means that it is likely that there was a population of between 300 and 350 in the settlements that now make up Shrewton. Despite the number of settlements there was only one mill, at Shrewton - an indication of the seasonal nature of the river.

We know that churches existed in Maddington by 1179, Shrewton by 1236, and Rollestone by 1291, and although it is quite possible there were earlier churches at Maddington and Shrewton there is no architectural evidence for these. It is likely that from medieval times until the early 19th century Maddington has had a larger population than Shrewton and that Rollestone has always been a very small settlement. In 1377 there were 49 poll tax payers (aged over 14 years) in Shrewton and 40 in Netton while there were 61 in Maddington, 25 in Homanton, 20 in Bourton and 9 in Addestone. Shrewton was a scattered settlement with houses from north to south along the river and road while Netton was a village in the south of the parish, which gradually declined as there were 15 houses here in 1773 but today the name is no longer used for the settlement here. Maddington was a more compact village set around its church while Homanton and Bourton were small villages and Addestone a hamlet. By the 18th century there were 10 houses in Homanton - some were demolished in the 19th century; Bourton had houses on the western bank of the Till (there is still evidence of house platforms), but by 1841 there was only Bourton House and its farmstead; Addestone was also reduced to Addestone Manor and its farm buildings by 1841. In 1428 there were only 10 householders in Rollestone and the settlement remained little changed for centuries.

Farming was the typical downland economy of sheep and arable. Corn was originally ground at Shrewton water-mill but by the 1580s there was a wind-mill to west of Maddington, south of the old Amesbury-Warminster road. This was still wind-powered in 1841 but had been converted to steam by the late 19th century and fell out of use in the early 20th century. It was demolished in 1958. In the 17th century some water-meadows were created alongside the river Till.

Each village had its manor house but the inns and alehouses seem to have been concentrated in Shrewton. The George, on the old London road, is first mentioned in 1607 and would have served travellers. In the early 17th century Shrewton Manor was built, replacing an earlier house, while later in the century Homanton House was built. Towards the end of the century Maddington House was erected. Maddington village was also expanding with houses on the western side of the Till by 1773. The latter were built opposite the Shrewton houses on the eastern side and created a proper village street. Even though they were separate villages, the two villages were growing together. Apart from this there was little expansion of Maddington from the mid 18th century to the mid 20th century. Maddington Manor had been burned down in 1741 and replaced by a larger house in 1742.

The road from Amesbury to Warminster was turnpiked in 1761 and a new road created through the village south of the old one. This also aided the union of Shrewton and Maddington villages and brought about the opening of The Catherine Wheel on the new road. The blind house, or lock-up, is said to have been built c.1700. It is by the river bridge in Maddington Street and probably used mainly to house prisoners overnight when they were on their way from the Assize Courts in Devizes to Fisherton Gaol. The blind house was damaged by a tank during the Second World War and rebuilt afterwards, while in the 1980s it was moved back from the road edge to prevent further damage by lorries. Between 1773 and 1793 another wind-mill was built. This was a thatched timber mill and was sited north-west of Nett Road. It continued working until around 1827 and had been demolished by 1899. In the late 18th century the present Rollestone Manor was built using 16th century structural timbers, presumably from the earlier manor house.

In the early 19th century many Shrewton houses were rebuilt in red brick and the population of Shrewton, as opposed to Maddington and Rollestone, rose rapidly. There were 269 people in 1901 but 399 in 1811 and the rise continued until 1871. Conversely, the larger Maddington had 327 people in 1801, which rose steadily to 445 in 1841 and then declined for the rest of the 19th century. Between 1800 and 1811 The Bustard was built on the downs to the north-east and Shrewton itself became a minor centre of trade and commerce for the area. Maddington Manor was rebuilt in 1833 but there were few other new buildings in Maddington in the first half of the 19th century.

In 1841 came a disastrous event that has been long remembered on the Plain and was commemorated in two poems and a relief fund. At the beginning of January there had been heavy snowfall and the ground was frozen solid under a thick covering of snow. On 13th January a thaw began with snow melting rapidly but the ground still frozen. The melt waters had nowhere to go but downhill over the still frozen ground to the River Till. This rose quickly until it was eventually 7 to 8 feet deep, sweeping along the valley. Fortunately people had warning and no lives were lost but 28 houses were destroyed and 300 people made homeless. An appeal for relief brought in money from a wide area. Homes along the banks of the Till were rebuilt and there was enough money to build an extra 14 cottages in local villages. The rents from these provided money for clothing, fuel and groceries for the local poor. Four of these cottages are in Salisbury Road and two in Maddington Street.

There had been private and dame schools in the villages in the early 19th century and by 1841 there was a schoolroom in Maddington, and one in Shrewton by 1855. By 1864 the Old Hawking Club was established at The Bustard and used the facilities at the Catherine Wheel (now closed) at Shrewton for much of the year, but also the Crown at Everleigh for four to six weeks around March, and the Red Lion at Avebury during the lark hawking season. The Club continued until 1924 Well-known and titled people were members of this falconry club that concentrated on rook hawking. Two more public houses opened in the latter part of the 19th century: The Royal Oak in 1867 and The Wheatsheaf on the London Road c.1886. The latter did not survive many years. In 1898 the London and South Western Railway were empowered to build a branch line to Amesbury and Shrewton but they only got as far as Amesbury. However, a narrow gauge military railway was built as the northern part of Shrewton parish was acquired for artillery ranges between 1897 and 1902. The railway was used from 1923 to 1958. In the early 20th century most of the downland in Rollestone parish was also taken over by the Army, and later the Air Force. This did not affect the village itself but RAF Rollestone continued until 1946.

During the 20th century Shrewton village doubled in size while Maddington has also increased. Another public house, The Plume of Feathers, opened in Shrewton c.1910, and a range of council houses were built in London Road (1927 and 1933) and Chalk Hill (1936). By 1931 the Shrewton Laundry had opened and this became a substantial employer in the village during the 20th century. In 1934 an administrative change brought about the formation of one village. In practical terms this had been the case for some services and activities for some time. The civil parishes of Maddington and Rollestone were added to Shrewton and the new parish called Shrewton.

Military activity increased greatly during the Second World War and between 1940 and 1944 land to the west of The Bustard was used as a military airfield. Later many of the pavements were edged with metal to prevent damage from tracked vehicles. Many more houses were built after the war with nearly 100 local authority houses east of Upper Backway, in The Butts and The Hollow. In the 1960s about 30 old people's bungalows were built to the west of Upper Backway and a further 16 in Hinde's Meadow in the 1980s. There was also much private building from the 1960s to the 1990s with houses in Meadway (about 50), Copper Beech Close, Highfield Rise (45) and Chapel Lane. Bungalows were built between Highfield Rise and Nett Road and near Maddington Church. There has also been infilling in the late 20th century.

From the 1870s farming had been mainly arable and sheep with very few cattle. Pastureland increased from the late 19th century and there was an increase in cattle rearing in the early 20th century. In the late 20th century arable and mixed farming predominated with sheep and beef cattle being reared. From 1980 about 70 acres of Parsonage Down was made into a national nature reserve and stocked with sheep and cattle, including some rare breeds.

Parish Web Site
CouncilWiltshire Council
Web Sitewww.wiltshire.gov.uk
Parish CouncilShrewton Parish Council
Parish Emailshrewtonparishcouncil@gmail.com

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Baptists, Rollestone, Shrewton
Bethesda Baptist Chapel, Shrewton
Chapel, Maddington, Shrewton
Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton
Church of St. Mary, Maddington, Shrewton
Church of St. Mary, Shrewton
Methodist Church, Shrewton
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Shrewton
Zion Baptist Chapel, Shrewton
Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Population 1801 - 2001

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

A Historical and Descriptive Guide to the Churches of Shrewton, Maddington and Rollestone in the County of Wiltshire
A History of Shrewton and District W.I.
Blow By Blow: a history of Shrewton Silver Band
Highways and Byways in Wiltshire, pages 173-4 and 178
Highways and Byways in Wiltshire, pages 173-4 and 178
O for a Falconer's Voice: Memories of the Old Hawking Club
Round About Wiltshire, pages 265 and 338
Seymour family in Rollestone Registers
Shrewton, a Poem, on the Desolating Floods that so recently prevailed in Wiltshire
The Church Bells of Wiltshire; their inscription and history, pages 92, 128, 131, 164, 198, 254, 262, 296, 297, and 303
The Dovecots and Pigeon Lofts of Wiltshire
The History of Modern Wiltshire, volume 2, pages 32-8
The Orders of Shrewton
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, volume 11, pages 208-12 (Rollestone)
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, volume 15, pages 201-213 (Maddington) & 242-252 (Shrewton)
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, volume 4
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, volume 4
The Wiltshire Village Book, pages 193-5
Wiltshire (Buildings of England series), revised by Bridget Cherry, pages 319-20, 387, 471-2
Wiltshire Villages, pages 59 and 61
Wiltshire: the topographical collections, corrected and enlarged by John Edward Jackson, page 300

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

Salisbury Journal 1738
Salisbury Times 1898 to 2000
Salisbury & Wiltshire Herald 1833 to 1852
Sherborne Mercury 1737 to 1867
Devizes & Wiltshire Gazette 1816

Maps: listed below are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Map Type Map Sheet Reference
O.S. National Grid Reference SU 069435
O.S. 25 inch County Series 1870s-194053/12
O.S. 6 inch County Series 1870s-194053
O.S. 1:2500 metric edition; 1950s onwardSU 0643-0753; 0644-0744
O.S. 1:10000 metric edition; 1950s onwardSU 04 SW; SU 04 SE; SU 04 NE; SU 04 NW
O.S. Explorer130
O.S. Landranger184
Geological Sheet282

Map of Shrewton

View Larger Map (opens in new window)

Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Shrewton

From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
  • Wiki
  • Wiki DE
  • Photos
  • Popular
  • Video
  • Webcams

View Larger Map (opens in new window)


Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites.

The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

Folk Arts:

Folk Songs from Shrewton

Song Title

Roud No.

Collected From



Collected By

Linen song


Perrior, Joseph Frederick



Kennedy, Peter

Turmot hoeing


Perrior, Joseph Frederick



Kennedy, Peter

Folk Biographies from Shrewton

NameLocation/CommunityDate of Birth

Perrior, Joseph Frederick



Folk Plays from Shrewton

Play Title

Alt Play Title


Words From

Mummers' play


Kennedy, Peter

Mummers' play


Kettlewell, David

Mummers’ play


Bonham-Carter, Gerard

Mummers’ play


Rogers, Norman

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham’.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed as being of architectural or historic importance is 41. There are three Grade II* listed buildings; the Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Shrewton, and the Church of St. Mary, Maddington.

English Heritage and National Monuments Record

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Current District:Salisbury
Address:The Laburnums 50 Bedwin Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3UW
Former District:Amesbury to April 1936

Frequently Asked Questions

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

Search Community Information Database

Wiltshire & Swindon Archives

Wiltshire Wills Search by name, occupation, or subject for details of a will from this parish held in the Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office.

Genuki Family History - Wiltshire

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library



This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
BA14 8JN