If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Winterbourne Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Comprehensive View - Condensed View

Winterbourne

This page is one of 261 pages covering every community in Wiltshire, and is provided by Wiltshire Council Libraries and Heritage. A project to provide a fuller picture of each community is in progress, working on the larger communities first. When these 261, which are modern civil parishes, are completed we will begin work on a further 180 villages and hamlets to provide comprehensive coverage of Wiltshire communities large and small.

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1773:

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1773


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham



Map of the Civil Parish of Winterbourne:

Map of the Civil Parish of Winterbourne


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


From the Ordnance Survey 1896 revision of the one inch to one mile map. The modern civil parish boundary has been superimposed.


Thumbnail History:


The modern civil parish of Winterbourne was created in 1934 by joining the parishes of the Winterbournes Earl, Dauntsey and Gunner. It is in the south west of Wiltshire, 3.5 miles north east of Salisbury. The soil and subsoil is chalk and the River Bourne runs through the centre of all three communities. Winterbourne was the old name for the river; Dauntsey is from the family of Roger Danteseye, Earls from the earls of Salisbury and Gunner from Gunnora de la Mare, the lady who held the manor in 1249.

The shape formed by the parish boundary is broad and thin. The settlement area is concentrated in the centre, with the railway and a Roman road on either side. The remainder of the parish is open fields, with small areas of woodland to the east.

An extensive field system on the western side is visible on aerial photographs. Now it is ploughed down but field banks up to 0.4m had survived in places when the site was visited by the Ordnance Survey in 1972. Figsbury Ring on the eastern side of the railway is a single ditch Iron Age hill fort covering 15.5 acres. It was excavated in 1924 by Maud Cunnington and there is a detailed account in the Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine. Other archaeological finds include burial sites, four of which are on the boundary.

The Roman road called the Portway, which runs from Silchester to Old Sarum, passes through the parish, crossing the south west and the central northern boundaries. A second Roman road, from Old Sarum to Winchester, crosses the south eastern edge of the parish and follows the boundary for a short distance.

Since the Reformation, the parish of Winterbourne Earls has only changed hands twice. In 1551 it was the property of the Bishops of Salisbury who leased it to the Nicholas family. In 1799 the lease was taken by the Fort family. They eventually bought the manor, holding it until the mid 20th century. Winterbourne Dauntsey was held by the Dauntsey family from 1163-1493. It then changed hands several times until 1845 when it was bought by George Burtt, who held it until c.1930. Winterbourne Gunner takes its name from a lady who died as long ago as 1248. More recently the manor has been held by the Elliotts (from 1676), then the Templemans and lastly the Evanses.

In the 1860s there were six places of worship in Winterbourne, as each community had its own church and chapel. Today there are just two churches and one chapel. The parish church of St Michael at Winterbourne Earls was built in 1868 to replace a building which had its origins possibly in the 12th century. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, porch and tower. The 14th century church at Winterbourne Dauntsey was also demolished in 1867, when it joined with Winterbourne Earls to worship in the one church at Earls that was to be built the following year. St Mary's at Winterbourne Gunner was founded in the 13th century and re-built in the 1880s. It consists of a chancel, nave with south porch, and a tower.

The Methodist chapel at Earls was built c.1843 and closed in 1967. The chapel at Dauntsey was built in 1799 as an Independent Meeting House but later became a Methodist chapel. It closed in the 1950s. The chapel at Gunner was built in 1818 and is still open for worship today.

There are numerous buildings of interest in Winterbourne. The Manor House at Dauntsey was built c.1720. It has three storeys and a basement, and was built in irregular Flemish bond brick. Inside there are three reception rooms, seven bedrooms and three bathrooms. Country Life magazine described it as 'a charming Queen Anne Manor House'. The Manor Farmhouse at Earls was built in the 16th and 17th centuries of brick laced flint. The Manor House at Gunner is mid 19th century, but incorporates fragments of earlier buildings. It is part of a 17th century farmstead of agricultural buildings including a barn and granary.

Manor Farm Mill at Gunner was still in working condition in 1980. In 1924 the mill wheel was removed and replaced with a turbine. The villagers came here to charge their radio batteries. The house at Hurdcott known as The Poplars was a brush factory in the 19th century. Originally it may have been a water mill. The Black Horse public house at Hurdcott is constructed of cob and brick and was built in the 18th century. The south wall was faced with brick in the 19th century, and it was further extended and modernised in the 20th century. There are many examples of 17th and 18th century cottages in the parish.

At the time of the Domesday survey the combined population of Winterbourne was approximately 200-250. The communities at Dauntsey and Gunner were approximately the same size, while that at Earls was twice the size of Dauntsey. All three had a mill. The population rose steadily in the 19th century, reaching a peak of 635 in 1851. In 1931 it peaked again at 710, due to residential development in Gunner. After the Second World War the population more than doubled, as men stationed at nearby Porton and Idmiston lived in Winterbourne. In 2001 the population was 1,336.

The vast majority of the population were employed in agriculture. In an 1819 survey of Earls, when there were 45 households, just seven people were employed in trade or handicraft. During the 18th century the woollen trade was an important source of income. In 1767 one Winterbourne farmer owned 3,000 sheep. In the 19th century, the three villages between them had all the services needed to enable a community to be self sufficient. Examples are shop keeper, publican, boot maker, carpenter, carrier, coal merchant and wheelwright.

Between 1951 and 1981 the population was 1,700. New houses were built during this period and the village was also very active socially. Local employment was provided by Defence establishments at Gunner and nearby Idmiston. The 1939 trade directory mentions 'The Enterprise Garage' and 'Reliance Electrical Installations'. There were two cafés at Gunner, which were probably supported by men living in the Barracks. Current businesses include Marsh Motors, a car sales and garage business established in 1986, and the Riverside Cat Hotel.

Electricity was available from 1939. Mains drainage and water were not supplied until the 1960s. The first mention of a carrier service is in 1915. By 1923 a 'motor omnibus service' was travelling to Salisbury on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The Wilts and Dorset buses between Tidworth and Salisbury passed through the village three times a day.

Winterbourne Post Office and shop is a service that has been provided since the 19th century and is still thriving. The village has its own website and the shop is one of many services and activities that are available. There is a pub, a village hall, a scout troop, a day centre, a link scheme and a history society. The 'what's on' page of the website shows that there is plenty of activity in this lively and thriving community.

Parish Web Site
CouncilWiltshire Council
Web Sitewww.wiltshire.gov.uk
Emailcustomercare@wiltshire.gov.uk
 
Parish CouncilWinterbourne Parish Council
 
Parish Emailwinterbournepc@googlemail.com

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Bourne Valley Methodist Church, Winterbourne
Church of St. Edward, Winterbourne Dauntsey
Church of St. Mary, Winterbourne Gunner
Church of St. Michael, Winterbourne
Independent Meeting House, Winterbourne Dauntsey
Methodist Chapel, Hurdcott, Winterbourne Earls
Methodist Chapel, Winterbourne Dauntsey
Methodist Chapel, Winterbourne Gunner
Old Church of St. Michael, Winterbourne Earls
Church of St. Katherine and St. Peter, Winterbourne Bassett
Church of St. Peter, Winterbourne Bassett
Methodist Chapel, Winterbourne Bassett
Methodist Chapel, Winterbourne Bassett
Non-conformists, Winterbourne Bassett
Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Winterbourne Monkton
Non-conformists, Winterbourne Monkton
 
Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Population 1801 - 2001

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South-West England pp 205, 247
Figsbury Rings, an account of excavations in 1924 pp 48-58
Highways and Byways in Wiltshire, pages 99-100
The Church Bells of Wiltshire: their inscription and history pp 168, 236-8, 252, 261, 262, 280
The Church Plate of the County of Wilts pp 34, 35
The Wiltshire Village Book pp234, 235
Wiltshire (Buildings of England series) revised by Bridget Cherry pp 590, 591
Wiltshire Villages p 47
Wiltshire: the topographical collections corrected and enlarged by John Edward Jackson pp 218, 297, 302
A Modern Boeotia
Captain Hopewell Hayward Budd
Highways and Byways in Wiltshire pages 319-320
Round About Wiltshire pages 132-6
The Church Bells of Wiltshire pages 235, 295-6
The Church Plate of the County of Wilts page 144
The Victoria County History of Wiltshire, vol 12 pages 184-92
This Bassett has all sorts
Wiltshire (Buildings of England series) pages 589-90
Wiltshire Villages pages 149-50
Wiltshire: the topographical collections corrected & enlarged by J E Jackson pages 342-4, 41-2, 137
Dept. of Environment Listed Buildings, Kennet. Volume 5
Exploring Historic Wiltshire Volume 1
The Ancient History of Wiltshire
The Buildings of Wiltshire
The Place Names of Wiltshire
Victoria County History of Wiltshire Volume XII
Wiltshire Ephemera. People, landscape & activities in the parish of Winterbourne Monkton
Wiltshire Record Society Meeting House Certificates. Volume 40
Wiltshire Villages
 

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

NewspaperPeriod
  
Salisbury Journal 1738
Salisbury Times 1898 to 2000
Avon Advertiser 1979
Salisbury & Wiltshire Herald 1833 to 1852
Sherborne Mercury 1737 to 1867
 

Maps: listed below are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Map Type Map Sheet Reference
 
O.S. National Grid Reference SU 175345
O.S. 25 inch County Series 1870s-194061/13
O.S. 6 inch County Series 1870s-194061
O.S. 1:2500 metric edition; 1950s onwardSU 1634-1734; 1834-1934; 1635-1735; 1835-1935
O.S. 1:10000 metric edition; 1950s onwardSU 13 SE; SU 13 NE
O.S. Explorer130
O.S. Landranger184
Geological Sheet298

Map of Winterbourne


View Larger Map (opens in new window)


Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Winterbourne

From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
  • Wiki
  • Wiki DE
  • Photos
  • Popular
  • Video
  • Webcams


View Larger Map (opens in new window)

 

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites.

The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

Folk Arts:

There were no Folk Songs found for Winterbourne

There were no Folk Biographies found for Winterbourne

There were no Folk Plays found for Winterbourne

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed as being of architectural of historic importance is 36. There is 1 Grade I building, Church of the St. Mary the Virgin; and 2 Grade II*, Manor House and the Peacock Cottages.

English Heritage and National Monuments Record

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Current District:Marlborough
Address:1 The Green, Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 1AL
Former District:
Current District:Salisbury
Address:The Laburnums 50 Bedwin Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3UW
Former District:Amesbury to April 1936
Current District:Marlborough
Address:1 The Green, Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 1AL
Former District:
Current District:Salisbury
Address:The Laburnums 50 Bedwin Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3UW
Former District:Amesbury to April 1936

Frequently Asked Questions

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

Search Community Information Database

Wiltshire & Swindon Archives

Wiltshire Wills Search by name, occupation, or subject for details of a will from this parish held in the Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office.

Genuki Family History - Wiltshire

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN