If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Wiltshire History Questions Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Question Date :

Friday 14th March 2003 10:12

Question:
What is the history of the Pepperbox of Pepperbox Hill (South of Alderbury)

Answer:
The Pepperbox is on the brow of Brickworth Down giving wide views to the east and west. It is an octagonal brick tower with a pyramid roof and two floors and was built in 1606 by Gyles Eyre, a local landowner. It can be counted as a folly but may have been used a lookout so that ladies could follow the progress of the hunt, away from the rain and mud. Its name comes from its resemblance to a pepper box or pepper pot, which would have been in use in the 17th and 18th centuries.

In the late 18th and early 19th century it was a haunt of highwaymen, who waited there to rob coaches after they had climbed the hill and the horses were tired. In the Second World War it was used as a lookout post for the local Home Guard. It is in Whiteparish but is more associated with Alderbury, which it overlooks.

Bibliography:
Alderbury and Whaddon: a Millennium Mosaic of People, Places and Progress, by Alderbury and Whaddon Local History Research Group, 2000, 0 9538004 0 7.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN