If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Wiltshire History Questions Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Question Date :

Monday 4th July 2011 10:03

Question:
When was County Hall in Trowbridge built please?

Answer:
From its formation in 1889 Wiltshire County Council had offices in several buildings in Trowbridge, building a new office in Hill Street in 1913. This became inadequate and more office space was rented in the town. The county council decided to have new offices in 1929 and there was some dispute as to whether the new offices should be in Trowbridge or Devizes. A decision was made in favour of Trowbridge in 1933, because of the convenience of rail travel, and the site in Bythesea Road was bought for 1,650. The new building, designed by P.D. Hepworth, was begun in 1938 and completed in the late summer of 1940. It cost 150,000. The design is believed to have been inspired by a building in Amsterdam. As the stonework was brilliant white originally the building provided a landmark for enemy aircraft in World War II and was camouflaged by means of a huge net covering it between 1940 and 1943.

Bibliography:
Wiltshire County Council: the first hundred years 1889-1989, by Ken Rogers. WCC, 1989 0 86080 187 X

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN