Wiltshire Community History
Viewing multimedia and description text
Winterslow Methodist Church
|Date Photo Taken 2008|
Uploaded 23/12/2008 16:47:16
Map Latitude 51.09256997781239 : Longitude -1.6493278741836548
On the Map
View Exif Data
Original Media Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
|A first Methodist chapel was built on Winterslow Common in 1810 and the subscription and account book for the period 1810 â€" 1827 survives in Wiltshire and Swindon Archives.|
The present chapel dates from 1865-1866 and is part of the Salisbury Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. A book of pew rents is held in Wiltshire and Swindon Archives for the period 1889 â€" 1930.
In 1983 extensive alterations to the building began, to include a new vestry, a meeting room, cloakroom facilities. A service of rededication and thanksgiving was held on 1st January 1984.
In 1992 a Day Centre opened in the hall and this necessitated the further alteration of heating and kitchen facilities and the construction of a ramp entrance. In 1996 a porch and ramp entrance was added to the exterior of the church itself. In 2002 the roof was retiled and by 2006 all the windows had been replaced.
The refurbishment works were funded by means of grants from the Circuit and by individual grants and donations.
Comment on the Photo
You can add a relevant comment on this multimedia item - please complete all fields
All comments will be moderated and will be displayed on this page if approved
Note: This is a history site and we have no connection with the school, church, etc. that the multimedia item relates to
For general feedback, comments or questions not relating to this multimedia item, please use this form.