Wiltshire Community History
Viewing multimedia and description text
Church of St. John the Baptist, Winterslow
|Date Photo Taken 2008|
Uploaded 23/12/2008 16:50:04
Map Latitude 51.092664315251874 : Longitude -1.6480618715286255
On the Map
View Exif Data
Original Media Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Society
|This chapel of ease was built in 1860 when the population of Winterslow Common was growing â€" even before the Land Court project began. It is speculated that the chapel may also have represented an attempt to counter the growth of Methodism whose presence on the Common had taken tangible form with the construction of the first Methodist chapel in 1810. |
From its inception it was planned that the chapel would be a place of worship on Sundays, but a school on weekdays; it was invariably referred to as the â€˜Chapel Schoolâ€™.
Land for the construction of St. Johnâ€™s was given by Robert Cooper of Coopers Farm.
Francis Thomas Egerton contributed approximately 25 per cent of the building cost of Â£444 5s. 8d. In its original form the chapel had no porch but it did have a bell turret at its western end and seating provision was for 120 people.
St. Johnâ€™s was dedicated on 4 June 1860 by the Bishop of Salisbury. The ceremony and following celebrations were described in the Salisbury Journal of 9th June 1860.
Comment on the Photo
You can add a relevant comment on this multimedia item - please complete all fields
All comments will be moderated and will be displayed on this page if approved
Note: This is a history site and we have no connection with the school, church, etc. that the multimedia item relates to
For general feedback, comments or questions not relating to this multimedia item, please use this form.