If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

School Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Codford - Congregational School, Codford

There was a school in the schoolhouse at the Congregational chapel in 1848 but this had closed by 1858. A new day school was founded in July 1869 and was funded by voluntary contributions and the children's school pence. The mistress was Miss Newman. After the 1870 Education Act the managers of the school wanted it to be made a government school under the Act and were told that as soon as a certified teacher took charge the school would be placed under Her Majesty's Inspectors. This happened in January 1871. The Committee of the school comprised three members of the chapel and three members of St. Mary's church, with the chapel minister, Rev. A. Curry, as chairman. The school continued for most of the decade, closing in August 1879. The children were transferred to St. Mary's Church School on 6th October 1879, bringing about a substantial increase in the number of pupils at that school.
 

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN