If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

School Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Kingston Deverill - Monkton Deverill School, Kingston Deverill

There was a school in Monkton Deverill in 1859. The school census for 1859 stated that 30-40 children of mixed ages were taught by a mistress in a lean-to, with a brick floor and wall desks. The school at neighbouring Longbridge was the only school with a master, so it is possible that the older children attended school there.

According to Kelly's Directory a national school was built in 1870 for 60 infants. By 1889 it was described as a mixed school, but earlier directories refer to it as an infants' school. There seems to be some confusion here, and it may have been a mixed school from 1870, or at times it may only have educated infants. There were only 20 children attending in 1889, and by 1895 the school had closed. The children were then taught at Kingston Deverill School.
 

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN