If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

School Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Donhead St. Mary - Charlton National School, Donhead St. Mary

In 1818 there were 20 children attending the school at Charlton. In 1846 the National School had 65 boys and 32 girls (day and Sunday school). The Charlton Old National School was taken over in 1841 by the Donhead St. Mary Parish. A National School was built east of St. John's Chapel in 1842.

Warburton's Census of 1858 lists a school called 'Charlton, or Ludwell' "50 to 60 scholars, mixed, are taught in a good room (50x19) for registration. The discipline is good, and the instruction very fair. Master is self-taught. There are also 2 dames' schools which feed the above, numbering together about 25. About 12 tradesmen's children are taught by a young woman, a dissenter; they pay 5s. a quarter". Charlton Sunday school and day school had 65 boys and 32 girls taught by a master.

A school board was formed in 1874 but the school closed in 1876. The building was occasionally used by the new school at Ludwell (built 1875) as a room for domestic cookery courses into the early part of the 20th century.
 

School Photos/Plans

Charlton National School, Donhead St. Mary
 
Charlton National School, Donhead St. MaryImage Date: 2009
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
Get image information
Image Information
Charlton National School, Donhead St. Mary
 
Charlton National School, Donhead St. MaryImage Date: 2009
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
Get image information
Image Information

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN