If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

School Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Box - Church of England School, Box

This elementary Board school was built in 1875 at a cost of £2,700 with accommodation for 400 pupils. There were two separate schools - boys, and girls and infants in the same building, with different entrances. The boys were taught by a master (Mr C. Hewlett) and one teacher (Mr R. Trowbridge) while there was a mistress (Miss C. Gray) for the girls and an infant teacher (Miss B. Gray). There were graded fees with the children of labourers paying 2d ( about 1p) a week, those of artisans paying 4d (about 1.75p) and those of tradesmen paying 6d (2.5p). All children who paid in advance by the quarter (every 3 months) had their school books, slates and pencils provided free of extra cost. A Night School was run by the vicar during the winter months on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 7.30 p.m. Fees were 1 shilling (5p) a month of 4d (about 1.75p) a week.

In 1876 the infants were being taught such songs as 'O We're All Weaving', 'Little Bo Peep', 'Song of Sixpence' and 'Dance Thumbkin Dance', while the older children were learning such songs as 'Poor Old Joe', 'Be Kind to the Loved Ones at Home' and 'All Among the Barley'. During harvest time many children were kept at home to help and often girls were absent for gleaning - gathering the fallen ears of corn from the ground after the sheaves of corn had been removed. This provided poorer families with free corn to grind for making their bread. In 1881 the infants' school was separated from the girls and by 1883 there were two certified teachers and two stipendary monitors to help the master in the boy's school. By 1907 there were 340 pupils at the school and the county council had become the local education authority, while in 1908 various sports were introduced as a part of the curriculum. The Night School continued in the early 20th century.

In 1921 a domestic science course for the girls was started in the Methodist Schoolroom, further to the west along the High Street. The boys' and girls' schools amalgamated in 1922 to become a mixed school. Also in 1922 it was reported that the sanitary conditions were very poor and that the earth closets needed replacing. The county council threatened to withdraw support from the school and the work was undertaken. During World War Two 96 children from St. Mary Abbots in Kensington and Old Oak Schools were evacuated to Box and taught in the school with 168 local children. After the War the school became known as Box Church of England Primary School, under which heading further information can be found.

Further information about the day to day life of the school will be found in the school log books in the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office.
 

School Photos/Plans

Church of England School, Box
 
Church of England School, BoxImage Date: c.1905
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information
Church of England School, Box
 
Church of England School, BoxImage Date: c.1905
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information
Church of England School, Box
 
Church of England School, BoxImage Date: 2003
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information
Church of England School, Box
 
Church of England School, BoxImage Date: 1920s
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN