If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

School Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Sherston - British School, Sherston

In 1844 the members of the Congregational chapel, with the aid of a government building grant of £130, built a British schoolroom in Back Road, now Cliff Road. For the sum of 2d (just under 1p) a week education was provided for the children of non-conformists in the area. Many of the pupils would have been from the families of small tradesmen and artisans, rather than farm labourers. In 1858 there were 90 boys, under a master and two pupil teachers, and 80 infants (from 3 years), under a mistress and three pupil teachers.

The school continued to provide an education for the children of nonconformists until the 1890s when the average attendance was 73. It closed in July 1895 and the pupils were transferred to the Church of England school, formerly the National School, for the term beginning in September 1895. The school had various uses after that and in the 1950s was being used as the dining room for the primary school. School meals being cooked at Malmesbury and delivered to Sherston by van. It was later used for private functions and meetings of the Senior Club.
 

School Photos/Plans

British School, Sherston
 
British School, SherstonImage Date: 2003
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information
British School, Sherston
 
British School, SherstonImage Date: 2003
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information
British School, Sherston
 
British School, SherstonImage Date: 2003
Image Details: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
Get image information
Image Information

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN