If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Cricklade Timeline

There were 149 items found.


1016       The Danish King Canute plunders Cricklade after rowing up the river Thames with 160 longships
1142       A castle is built by William of Dover
C.1150       St. Mary's Church built
C.1156       King Henry II grants the town its charter
1198       Port Mill, a water mill, in existence by this time
1225       Town Bridge built by this time
C.1230       Priory Hospital of St. John the Baptist founded as a guesthouse for poor wayfarers
1242       The mint is closed down
1257       Baldwin de Reviers, the lord of the manor, is granted the right to hold a market and 3-day fair to be held in September
1275       Two MPs are sent to Parliament from this time - the start of 600 years of electoral corruption
1300s       Glove making established from this time
1415       Prime concern of the Priory Hospital from this time is for the needs of poor and incapacitated priests
1550       Following the dissolution of the monasteries the Priory Hospital's charitable work ceases and the building is sold
1553       Tower on St. Sampson's Church completed and contains 4 bells
C.1560       Waylands Estates founded as a result of a charitable transfer of land and property, the income from which to be used to maintain, sustain and repair the highways of Cricklade
1569       Market House built in front of the White Hart Inn by Sir John Hungerford
1592       Queen Elizabeth I passes through the town on a royal progress through three counties
1642       Sir Anthony Hungerford bequeaths land at Purton, the income from which to be used to buy overcoats for 14 of the most deserving poor
1643       The Parliamentary army, under the command of the Earl of Essex and consisting of 4,000 cavalry and 10,000 infantry, spend a night in the town following the siege of Gloucester
1652       A free school endowed by Robert Jenner, goldsmith and MP, is opened in Bath Road next to St.Sampson's churchyard
1658       Clock installed in St. Sampson's Church
1663       Weekly Saturday markets granted and held in High Street
1680       Port Mill no longer in use
1691       George Inn in existence
1700s       High Street and Calcutt Street paved
C.1719-1725       Jenner's free school is used as a poorhouse
1720       There are four fairs throughout the year by this time
1723       Fire destroys 20 houses
1726-1835       Former Jenner's free school used as a workhouse
C.1734       Piped water supply for the town installed
1756-1791       All main roads serving Cricklade are turnpiked
1772       The house of Thomas Bett licensed as an Independent meeting house
1781       Postmaster in Cricklade from this time
1782       An Act is passed in Parliament to prevent bribery and corruption in the town's election of MPs
1783       There is a severe smallpox outbreak in the town
1789       Thames and Severn Canal opened
1799       Congregational Church built in Calcutt Street
1803       A treble bell is added to the ring at St. Sampson's church
1804       George Inn has been renamed the Three Horseshoes by this time
1813       Market House demolished
1815       Following the Enclosure Act the use of North Meadow is defined and the land is to remain as the property of the burgesses
1817       Market Cross moved from High Street to St. Sampson's churchyard
1819       North Wilts Canal from Latton to Swindon opened, joining the Thames and Severn Canal at Latton Basin; Chelworth Wharf on the river Fiddle serves as a staging post for Cricklade traffic on the North Wilts Canal; a day school for girls and an evening school for boys in existence
1821       William Cobbett in his 'Rural Rides' describes the town as " that villainous hole" and a "rascally looking place" with "dwellings little better than pigbeds"
1824       Primitive Methodist Society formed
1825       The house of Richard Simmons licensed as a Primitive Methodist meeting house
1829       A day school for boys opens
1830       Board School for Girls opened at 23 High Street; Post Office in High Street from this time
1836       Waylands Estates become the responsibility of the Charity Commissioners
1837       After many years without a weekly market a Market Committee introduces a monthly cattle and corn market to be held in High Street on the 3rd Tuesday of every month; stocks removed from Calcutt Street
1840       A tannery and foundry in existence between Brook House and the river
1842-1869       104 acres of land converted to allotments to benefit the poor of Cricklade and Chelworth
1843       Street lamps erected in the town; an extension to the former Jenner's free school becomes the National School
1848       There are 7 inns in the town: White Lion, King's Head, White Hart, New Inn, White Horse, Bear and Red Lion
C.1850       Police station opened in High Street
1850       Primitive Methodist day school opened
1852       Baptist Church built in Calcutt Street
1854       Town Bridge rebuilt
1855       New Primitive Methodist chapel built on south side of Calcutt Street
1858       Fire engine with hand pump purchased and building erected in Bath Road to house it
1859       Cricklade Gas & Water Company established and gas works built in Gas Lane; street lamps converted to gas; British School, for the children of non-conformists, opened south of Gas Lane
1860       National School for Infants, endowed by John Pater, built at the north end of the town on site of former foundry
1861       Drains connecting to house drains installed down both sides of High Street
1862       St. Mary's Church restored under the supervision of John Golpin; new Town Hall built in the High Street
1863       Clock installed in St. Mary's Church; Henry Smyth donates and later bequeaths monies in trust for blankets, sheets, bedding and warm clothing for poor parishioners
1864       St. Sampson's church extensively restored and refurbished under the supervision of Ewan Christian
1870       Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in High Street
1874       From this time the National School for Infants becomes St Mary's National School and teaches older children as well
1875       British School closes and the building becomes the National School for Infants
1876-1879       Turnpike roads cease to be turnpiked
C.1878       Board School for Girls closed
1878       Front of Congregational chapel replaced
1882       The National School becomes a boy's only school and the girls are transferred to St. Mary's National School
1883       Midland and South Western Junction Railway opened between Cirencester and Swindon and a station opened at the southern end of High Street
1884       Cricket Club in existence
1886       Cricklade division of the Vale of the White Horse hunt formed
1887       Cricklade Town Band formed
C.1890       Vale of Cricklade Benefit Society founded; private boarding school for girls opened in High Street
1890       White Hart inn rebuilt
1890s       Final fair held
1893       Schoolroom added to Primitive Methodist chapel
1894       Waylands Estates become the responsibility of the County and Rural District Councils
1895       Medical Hall destroyed by fire
1897       Clock installed at main crossroads to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee - paid for by public subscription
1899       Pillar boxes installed in the town; parishes of St. Sampson's and St. Mary's united as Cricklade parish
C.1900       Sewage treatment plants built at the Forty and Hatchetts
1900       Cemetery opened in Bath Road
1903       New organ installed in Primitive Methodist chapel
C.1905       New water supply system installed
1908       St.Mary's church restored to designs by C.E. Ponting
1912       First garage and motor shop opened in High Street by L. O. Hammond
1914       North Wilts Canal closed
1920-1926       British school converted to the Royal cinema
1920s       Cricklade Football Club formed
1922       New police station opened in High Street
1923       National School for Infants closes - the boys at the National School are transferred to St. Mary's and the infants are transferred to the National School
1927       Thames and Severn Canal abandoned; Bowls Club formed
C.1929       Gas street lamps replaced by electric lamps
1931       Council refuse collections begin
C.1932       First telephone kiosk erected in the town
C.1933-1945       British School used as a Roman Catholic church
1933       New Town Hall built in High Street; former Town Hall becomes Ockwell's Glove Factory
1934       Private boarding school for girls in High Street closed
1935       Royal cinema has closed by this time
1937       Baptist chapel closed
1938       West Mill and the miller's house demolished; Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist congregations are amalgamated and services are held in the Calcutt Street chapel from this time
1939-1945       Former Baptist church used as a WVS canteen for the armed forces
1944       Market moved to railway station yard; temporary airfields constructed at Blakehill Farm and Down Ampney in preparation for the Allied invasion of Europe
1945       Allotment land, for which demand fell after World War I, sold
1946       Prior Park Preparatory School, run by the Christian Brothers, opened in the Manor House in Calcutt Street
1948       Blakehill County School opened in converted huts at RAF Blakehill Farm; a coat of arms is granted to Cricklade Parish Council
1950       Cricklade Museum opened
1953       Final market held
1953-1995       Growth of the town with both public and private housing developments to the west
1953-1957       132 council houses and bungalows built at Culverhay
1955-1984       Former Baptist church in Calcutt Street becomes St. Augustine's Roman Catholic church
1955       Blakehill County School closed
1957       National school is closed and the building becomes the Parish Hall
1958       Annexe to Town Hall built
1959       Cricklade Church of England Controlled School for children aged 5 to 11 years built in Bath Road
1961       Railway station closed to passenger traffic
1962       St. Mary's school closed and pupils transferred to the secondary school at Purton
1963       Railway station closed to goods traffic; new fire station built in Bath Road
1964       Parsonage Farm and the tithe barn demolished
1967       Pike House on Bath Road, one of four toll houses in Cricklade, demolished
1969       Methodist congregation share the Congregational chapel with the Congregationalists; Methodist chapel in Calcutt Street closed
1970       New road built along the line of the disused railway south west of the town
1971       County branch library opened on a site off Bath Road behind the fire station
1972       Congregationalists and Methodists unite to form the United Reform Church
1973       North Meadow is designated a National Nature Reserve and Site of Special Scientific Interest
1974       Cricklade Parish Council becomes Cricklade Town Council
1975       Cricklade by-pass opened
1976       Bells removed from St. Mary's church tower and one installed in St.Sampson's church
1978       Swindon and Cricklade Railway Company formed to re-lay the line between Moredon and Cricklade; leisure centre built off Stone Lane by Cricklade Community Association
1979       Church of England Controlled School is divided into 2 schools on same site, St. Sampson's Church of England Junior School and St. Sampson's Infants School
1981       St. Mary's church is made redundant; Prior Park Preparatory School sold and becomes a co-educational boarding and day preparatory school under lay management
1984       The Roman Catholic church moves to St. Mary's church
1986       Museum moved to former Baptist chapel in Calcutt Street
1989       Cricklade twinned with Sucé-sur- Erdre in France
1994       Ockwell's glove factory ceases production
1996       Meadowpark, a pre-preparatory and nursery school opens in the grounds of Prior Park School
2000       Airfield at former RAF Blakehill Farm becomes a nature reserve
2001       New rugby pitch opened
2002       Building previously housing the glove factory converted to house the Town Council, the County branch library and a doctor's surgery
C.2002       New housing to the east of the town
Late 800s       Saxon fortifications built around Cricklade, a planned town, to defend Wessex against the Vikings
C.979       A mint is established in the town
C.983       St. Sampson's church built
Roman Period       Finds of Roman artefacts in the town suggest that settlement was only temporary, probably used as a marching camp or occupied by those maintaining the Ermin Street crossing over the river Thames

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN