If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Hullavington Timeline

There were 83 items found.


Mesolithic Period       An Iron Age coin, a rare and fine example of a decorated Bronze Age spear head and microliths are found in Hullavington, dating back to the Mesolithic period
Roman Period       Eight Romano-British coins, a bronze finger ring and two brooches located in Bradfield indicates a settlement here
Saxon Period       A road South West of Kingway Road indicates Saxon settlement
1066       Hullavington estate belongs to Earl Harold
1084       Hullavington estate belongs to Ralph Mortimer
1086       Hullavington known as 'Hunlavingtone' and population is of 200
1201s       The abbot of St. Victor builds a new water mill, presumably on Gauze brook
1203       Hullavington known as 'Hundlavinton'
1240       A vicarage had been ordained but the vicar complains that his portion is inadequate
1242       Hullavington known as 'Hundelavinton'
1291       Vicarage is valued at £4 6s. 8d
1292       Hullavington manor has two water mills, but very feeble head of water in 1337
1320       The vicar of Surrendell was given a small amount of land to serve the community in Bradfield and what was referred to as 'Bradfield Cantry'
1377       177 poll-tax payers, population estimated at 250
1400s       Boundaries planted on each side of the north-south boundaries to make long clear boundaries parallel to The Street. Still visible in 1989
1408       By now the church is called St. Mary Magdalene's
1443       The King grants to Eton College the fixed payments made for Hullavington at hundred courts
1545-1575       A new manor house is built
1557       Registers for the church begin
1558       The court orders all males between 7 and 60 to practise archery on Sundays
1583       Hullavington known as 'Hullonton'
1601s       The Jacob's family lives in and restores the Court House but the church is dilapidated
1630       An odd collection of "Strange Plantain" of variation of the flowers in the Old Rectory Garden is discovered
1645       Hullavington known as 'Hull Lavington'
1690       By will £1 a year is left to the second poor of Hullavington by Ayliffe Green
1703       Hannah Twinnoy, a Hullavington woman is killed by a tiger in Malmesbury
1730       The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin
1735       Thomas Jacob gives the parish by will a silver cup hallmarked for 1735
1764       Only nine of the farmhouses on The Street still remain today
1747       Quakers Society opens up a burial ground in the parish
1753       Quakers have a meeting place
1800       The Quaker Society of Hullavington is one of only seven active in the whole of Wiltshire
1801       Population of parish is 395
1812-1835       Hullavington's expenditure of the poor remains between £200 and £400, about normal for a parish of its size
1819       The Star Inn and the Queen's Head are mentioned at this date
1820       West Field Lane, Hullavington Street and Topsail Lane turnpiked to form a link between its north-east branch to the Malmesbury - Chippenham road
1821       A small Gothic styled chapel is built in Newtown for Independents and Baptists
1830       Vicarage net income of £194 shows it to be below the average wealth for a living in Malmesbury deanery
1832       A day school for 6 boys and 6 girls started
1333       Another school for 20 boys and 19 girls is built on the east side of The Street
1835       The parish joins Malmesbury's poor-law union
1839       Baptist Chapel is founded
1840       Hullavington parish is half arable and half grassland, land worked by 10 farms
1843       The small Mount Zion chapel us built of stone rubble in Gibbs Land for Particular Baptists
1851       Population is 708 and census Sunday records an average attendance of 56 at the Independants and Baptists' chapel
1853       Quakers cease to meet
1858       Stone rubble chapel improved
1871-1872       Major redesigning by A W Bloomfield takes place in the church
1874       All turnpiked roads disturnpiked
1880       From this time there was a carrier to and from Bath and Chippenham every week from the Post Office
1881       The Plough public house closes
1891       There are 543 people living in the village with the most dominant name being 'Greenman' closely followed by 'Gough', 'Wicks', and 'Broom'
Late 1901s       A garage built in The Street
1902       Average attendance of school is 114
1903       The main London and South Wales railway opened across Hullavington parish north of the village. Provides 280 railways worker's jobs; a oial merchant now at the station.
1917       The wooden screen in St. Mary's is removed and a new screen later executed in honour of the men of Hullavington who died in WW1
1921       20 century low point of 478 population
1922       Cemetery north of the village at crossroad opened
1925       The' Long Barrows of the Cotswolds' mentions "The Romans Grave" 40 yards west of the gate with Surrendell House
1937       R.A.F. Hullavington opened with many farms lost to the airfield; No. 9 Flying Training School moves here from R.A.F. Thornby
1939       Telephone exchange built
1940       14th August, the airfield is the subject of a German air attack. 7 killed and 6 seriously injured airmen and damaged an aircraft hanger
1942       The Flying Trying School's last year at Hullavington. The first American servicemen arrive for training in January. On 31 July the renamed Advanced Flying Unit moves in.
1945       Building of houses and the north end of Hullavington village join Newtown to the main part of the village
1951       The Greens Close built from 1950 and Bradfield Manor Farmhouse classed as listed
1955       Wellington Close is built between The Street and the airfield to house R.A.F. workers and featured 94 new houses
1958       Court Farm is a dairy and stock farm and with the exception of the Jubilee Cottages Eton College own much of the parish land
1961       Hullavington station closed to passengers
1965       Hullavington station closed entirely
1971       New village hall built
1973       First Hullavington newsletter photo copied and limited numbers left in shops, pubs, etc
1974       The parish becomes part of North Wiltshire district
1981       Significant descrease in population to 1,021 could be owing to the closure of R.A.F. Hullavington
1988       The new school has 96 pupils
1989       Mount Zion chapel closed and Hullavington garage taken over
1992       The first School Crossing Patrol Attendant took up her duties in April but the service ceases on the 15th June, after a traffic survey by the Country Council. June - BBC films part of a drame production at R.A.F. Hullavington
1993       Wiltshire County Council "Rights of Way" gives protection to Hullavington's footpaths
1996       Hullavington proceeds on an "informal basis" to twin with St. Victor L'abbaye, France. Burial charges are increased for the first time for many years.
1998       Hullavington Internet web page is launched on to the internet. The Queen's Head closes.
2001       Population is 1,245
2006       The new Village Hall is completed in its rebuilding
2008       Swallow View development off Royal Field Close completed. On 27 November there is a fire at Hullavington garage.
2010       Hullavington Primary School receives 'International School Award' success

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN