If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Wilton Timeline

There were 138 items found.


773       A chantry for secular priests founded by Wulstan, Earl of Wiltshire, in existence, converted from an old church, St Mary's
800s       The royal seat of the Kingdom of Wessex. The king's palace contains royal archives and royal charters are issued from here
800       Wulstan, Earl of Wiltshire, builds an Oratory
830       King Egbert converts the Oratory into a Priory of 13 sisters
838       Concordat between the King of Wessex and the Archbishop of Canterbury confirmed at Wilton
854       King Ethelwulph grants a charter tithing a tenth of his lands to the Church with free tenure
C.871       Wilton Abbey built
871       King Alfred the Great defeats the Danes in battle
C.959       Minting of coins begun in the town in the reign of King Edgar
970       Oswulf, Bishop of Sonning and sometimes Wiltshire, buried in Wilton
1003       The Danes, led by Sweyn, King of Denmark, invade Wiltshire and plunder and burn Wilton
1086       According to the Domesday Book Wilton is in the custody of a keeper, Hervey, who accounts directly to the Crown for all royal rents and dues
1100       Charter granted by King Henry I is the first of 15 charters to be granted during the life of the borough
1141       King David I, King of Scotland, attacks Wilton
1143       It is believed that King Stephen fortifies the town and builds a castle; a force of the Empress Maud, led by Robert of Gloucester, sets fire to the town and most of the abbey is destroyed
1189       Hospital of St. John, Ditchampton, founded by Bishop Hubert Walter
1200s       Church of St. Mary, Brede Street, partially rebuilt
1212       A grant of fair is in existence by this time
1229       Robert Bingham consecrated as Bishop of Salisbury at Church of St. Mary, Brede Street
1244       Harnham Bridge built by Bishop Bingham diverts traffic from Wilton to Salisbury causing a gradual decline in Wilton's fortunes
1245       The Black Friars establish a community
1249       A borough gaol exists by this time
1250       Mints at Wilton closed
1256       William Isembard, Mayor of Wilton, hanged in London for fraudulent practices while keeper of the chest of the Jewish Community. The chest was used for the registration of debts owed to the Jews
1295       2 members of Parliament returned from this time
Late 1200s       The town, although in gradual decline, still has many trades. There are several goldsmiths, skinners, glovers, needlers, tanners, dubbers, tailors and linenworkers. There are 14 bakers and many brewers. There are 8 parish churches
1300-1311       Robert de Brudecombe, the mayor, writes The Mayor's Common Place Book
1300       The borough of Wilton reverts to the Crown
1322       A keeper is appointed to the gaol
1361       Proclamation issued defining the days on which the market may be held
1400s       By this time the borough has declined and buildings are in a state of disrepair; Church of St Mary, Brede Street, rebuilt
1414       King Henry V grants a fair to be held in July
1433       King Henry VI grants the right to hold 2 sheep fairs in May and September respectively
1464       Due to great competition in the beer trade the Mayor issues an order that 5 brewers should brew on Mondays, 5 on Wednesdays and 4 on Fridays. Price of best beer set at one penny per flagon
1539       Dissolution of Wilton Abbey
1544       William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke, granted Wilton Abbey and its lands by King Henry VIII. He demolishes the abbey
1550       Wilton House, built by William Herbert on site of Wilton Abbey, completed
C.1550       Textile industry growing by this time reviving the town's fortunes
1568       There are stocks in Kingsbury Square; by this time 5 medieval churches have fallen into ruin or disrepair
1603       It is believed that Shakespeare and his company first perform his play As You Like It before King James I at Wilton House
1639       King Charles I presents a mace to the borough
1644       Wilton House garrisoned by the Royalists during the Civil War
1647       Fire destroys a large part of Wilton House
C.1650       From this time a process of rebuilding gradually obliterates nearly all traces of medieval Wilton although the street plan remains substantially the same
C.1653       Rebuilding of Wilton House by Inigo Jones and his nephew John Webb, completed
1685       King James II presents a second mace to the borough
1700s       Church of St. Mary, Brede Street, restored; Greyhound Inn, Kingsbury Square, Wheatsheaf in Warminster Road and the Pembroke Arms in Minster Street built
Early 1700s       Mill in Crow Lane converted to textile manufacturing
1700       By this time a poorhouse is in existence; the first carpet factory in the town is established by this time
1704       Two houses are licensed for Quaker meetings
1714       Wilton Free School opened in North Street for the education of 20 poor boys of the parish. The school founded with a bequest from a London businessman, Walter Dyer
1720s       By this time regular Presbyterian meetings are being held
1737       An outbreak of smallpox kills 132 people
1738       Town Hall built on site of former Guildhall
1769       Carpet factory burnt down
1775       Sheep fairs moved from Market Place to Fairfield at Fugglestone
1769       Fire destroys 25 houses and workshops
1778-1794       There is a major growth in Wesleyan Methodism in the town
1791       Congregational Church opened in Crow Lane on the site of Presbyterian meeting house
1801-1812       James Wyatt employed to carry out an extensive redesign and rebuild of Wilton House
1810       69 weavers and 200 looms employed in the town
1819       There is a Sunday School attached to the parish church in West Street by this time
1821       House licensed for Primitive Methodist meetings
1830       Crow Lane Mill attacked by Swing Rioters and machinery destroyed. 11 rioters from Wilton transported to Australia
1831       Wesleyan chapel built in North Street
1832       Only 1 member of Parliament returned from this time
1834       Carpet factory moves from Market Place to King Street
1835       Congregational School in Crow Lane, which began as a Sunday School, in existence
1837       Wilton Poor Law Union Workhouse opened; Primitive Methodist chapel opened in West Street
1838       Mrs Sidney (Lady Georgina) Herbert's Church of England School for Girls (later known as Wilton Park School) opened in buildings in the grounds of Wilton House to clothe and educate 35 poor girls
1840       The cloth industry is now in final decline with only 10 looms in operation
1842       Parochial Sunday School becomes a day school
1844       Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas in West Street built on the site of an earlier church of St. Nicholas replacing the Church of St. Mary, Brede Street as the parish church of Wilton
1845       Church of St. Mary, Brede Street, partially demolished
1849       Severe outbreak of cholera
C.1853       Literary and Scientific Institution established in Kingsbury Square
1854       Severe outbreak of cholera; Local Board of Health elected: gas works built and drainage and water works established
1856       Station (Wilton North) opened on newly opened Great Western Railway line from Salisbury to Warminster
1859       Felt manufacture begun at Crow Lane Mill; station (Wilton South) opened on the newly opened London & South Western Railway line from Salisbury to Gillingham
1860       Brewer's Agricultural Merchants founded by Albert Brewer as a blacksmiths
1872       Methodist Reform Church opened in Kingsbury Square; Blondin, a famous tightrope walker, performs in Wilton Park before an audience of 20,000 people
1873       The Talbot and Wyvern Hall built in Kingbury Square as the headquarters of the Wilton Total Abstinence Society
1875       The Congregational School is closed by this time
C.1880       Primitive Methodist Chapel moves from West Street to a new building in Kingsbury Square
1883       Quaker meeting house opened in Russell Street
1885       Charter of Incorporation granted by Queen Victoria; Fugglestone St Peter, Burcombe and South Newton now included in the borough
1888       Markets are no longer held by this time
1889       Jubilee Clock Tower on theTown Hall unveiled by Earl of Pembroke
1891       New cemetery dedicated
1892       Arthur G Street, writer and broadcaster, born in Wilton
1896       Methodist Reform Church closed
1897       The Church House, West Street, built
1898       By this time the Quaker's meeting house has moved to South Street; the Post Office is in Kingsbury Square
1900       Statue of 13th Earl of Pembroke, near entrance to Wilton House, unveiled
1901       Drinking fountain built as a memorial to the Earl of Pembroke
1902       Wilton Parochial School united with the National Society and renamed the National School
1903       Edward Slow's Chronology of Wilton published
1904       Carpet factory closed but a new company, Wilton Royal Carpet Factory, formed
1911       Quaker meetings have ceased
1912       Recreation Ground opened
1915       A severe flood in the town, which is prone to flooding, gives the impetus for an extensive flood relief programme
1918       Borough of Wilton disenfranchised
1920       First bus service between Wilton and Salisbury run by Wilts and Dorset Motor Services; Wilton Park School closed
1921       War memorial dedicated
1923       Wilton Free School closed
1924       Memorial to Sidney, 14th Earl of Pembroke, in Market Place unveiled; Riverside Preparatory School opened
1928       Electricity first introduced in Wilton
1932       Wilton Methodist Church formed from the amalgamation of the Primitive Methodists, the Wesleyans and the United Methodists, using the former Primitive Methodist chapel in Kingsbury Square as their home
1935       Gas works closed; National School reorganized into Wilton Church of England Junior School and Wilton Church of England Senior School: the Senior School moves to the Hollows
C.1936       Wesleyan chapel closed
1938       A third annual sheep fair, to be held in October, is introduced; Edith Olivier elected Wilton's first lady mayor; the Michael Herbert Hall completed
1939-1945       Carpet factory ceases the manufacture of carpets during World War II to wash army blankets and manufacture camouflage, kitbags and tarpaulins
1939       Churchyard of the Church of St. Mary, Brede Street, transformed into a garden of peace and dedicated. The chancel, all that remains of the church, is rehallowed
1940s       Wilton Church of England Senior School becomes a secondary modern and renamed Wilton Church of England Controlled Secondary Modern School
1945       Riverside Preparatory School closed
1948       The Town Council moves from the Town Hall into a former Masonic Hall in Kingsbury Square
1949       Carnival week held for the first time
C.1950       Street renumbering takes place
1951       Library in South Street opened in former Friends' Meeting House
1955       Wilton North railway station closed to passenger traffic
1960       Carnival no longer held
1963       An extension to Wilton Church of England Controlled Secondary Modern School completed
1964       Goods traffic at Wilton South railway station ceases; South Street Bridge rebuilt
1965       Talbot and Wyvern Hall demolished; Wilton North railway station closed to goods traffic
1966       Methodists and Congregationalists merge to form the Free Church of Wilton at the Congregational Church in Crow Lane; passenger traffic at Wilton South railway station ceased
1969       The old Methodist chapel in Kingsbury Square opened as the Roman Catholic St. Edith's Church
1974       Wilton loses its borough status and is now governed by Salisbury District Council
1975       Wilton Church of England Junior School moves to a purpose built school in Burcombe Lane and is renamed Wilton Church of England First School when a three tier education system is introduced to south Wiltshire. The old school building becomes a Community Centre; Wilton Church of England Controlled Secondary Modern School is renamed Wilton Church of England Middle School and pupils aged 14+ move to new school at Bemerton Heath
1979       Wilton Health Centre opened
1981       Weekly market started again in Market Place; Baptist Church opened in former Town Hall
1984       The Free Church building in Crow Lane is closed. The congregation moves to St. Edith's Catholic Church, which it shares with the Catholic congregation, and is renamed St. Edith's Methodist and United Reformed Church
1985       Brewer's Agricultural Merchants ceased trading
1992       Annual carnival revived
1995       Carpet factory closes but re-opens following a management buy-out
1997       Wilton Shopping Village opened
2004       St. Edith's Methodist and United Reform Church ceases services due to declining numbers and St. Edith's returns to being a Roman Catholic Church only
2005       Wilton Church of England First School is renamed Wilton and Barford Church of England Primary School; Wilton Church of England Middle School is closed and all pupils are transferred to Salisbury High School as south Wiltshire reverts to a two tier education stystem
2006       Felt manufacture has ceased

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN