If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1200

There were 21 items found.


Ashton Keynes Early 1200s The south aisle was added to the church and the east end of the church was altered.
Ashton Keynes 1200s The manor was occupied by a William de Keynes whose family name was used as an addition to Ashton.
Box C.1200 Original Chapel Plaister was built
Broughton Gifford 1200s Church of St. Mary the Virgin built.
Broughton Gifford 1200-1205 Gilbert Bassett holds Broughton Gifford.
Calne 1200s From this time Blackland's Mill, a corn mill, is in existence (closed 1993); a tannery is now operating in Patford Street and renovations to St. Mary's Church include the addition of chancel aisles
Corsham 1200s Lady Chapel added to St. Bartholomew'sChurch
Downton Early 1200s Norman church enlarged considerable. Valuable eel fisheries established here.
Great Somerford 1200s Possible motte castle raised, earthworks, worked stone, ceramics, charcoal and ash found
Great Somerford C.1200-1499 Parish known as Somerford Mautravers
Pewsey Early 1200s There are only 4 mills in existence: the Town Mill in High Street, Buckleaze Mil, Sharcott Mill at West Sharcott and Jones Mill
Purton Late 1200s Purton Mill built
Purton C.1200 Church on its present site at Church End by this time
Ramsbury 1200s Bishops of Salisbury occupy a park and a palace in Park Town by this time
Sherston Early 1200s Sherston moves from being a small village to a new borough
Sherston 1200s The Church is expanded with the addition of the tower and north ailse transept
Wilton 1200s Church of St. Mary, Brede Street, partially rebuilt
Wilton Late 1200s The town, although in gradual decline, still has many trades. There are several goldsmiths, skinners, glovers, needlers, tanners, dubbers, tailors and linenworkers. There are 14 bakers and many brewers. There are 8 parish churches
Wiltshire 1200 Marlborough is one of the most important cloth producing centres in the country
Wootton Bassett 1200 A church is first mentioned when Alan Bassett obtains the advowson ( the right to appoint the parish priest) from the monks of Monkton Farleigh
Wootton Bassett Early 1200s Fulk Bassett, Bishop of London, oversees the completion of either a new building or a rebuilding of the old church and dedicates it to St. Bartholomew and All Saints

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN