If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1400

There were 21 items found.


Aldbourne 1400s An inn on the site of the Blue Boar in existence
Amesbury Early 1400s Following disputes between the Prior and the Prioress the Priory reverts to a Benedictine nunnery. The church of St. Mary and St. Melor, previously used by the monks, continues as the parish church. A chapel dedicated to All Saints in existence at Ratfyn
Ashton Keynes 1400s The four Crosses of Ashton were all erected.
Box C.1400 The first manor house at Hazelbury was built
Box Late 1400s The Hungerford family were one of the largest landowners in the Box Parish
Box 1400s More alterations were made to the church of St. Thomas à  Becket; the existing squat tower was heightened by the addition of a bell chamber and octangonal spire
Box 1400-1500 The new Chapel Plaister and hospice were built to house pilgrims on their way to the shrine of St Joseph of Arimathea at Glastonbury Abbey
Broughton Gifford 1400s Church of St. Mary the Virgin has new windows and a roof replacement.
Calne 1400s North and south porches and clerestory at St. Mary's church are built and the roof of the nave is rebuilt
Downton 1400s Village recovers from the Black Death.
Downton 1400s The number of properties in the original village increased.
Hullavington 1400s Boundaries planted on each side of the north-south boundaries to make long clear boundaries parallel to The Street. Still visible in 1989
Marlborough 1400s St. Katherine's chantry built in High Street
Melksham 1400s St. Michael's church is remodelled and many additions made
Purton Late 1400s West tower erected on St. Mary's church in addition to the existing spire making it only one of three churches in England to have both a spire and a tower
Purton 1400s St. Mary's church undergoes major rebuilding works
Sherston 1400 Henry Crichele appointed the Rector of Sherston (later Archbishop of Canterbury 1414-1443)
Westbury 1400s All Saints church extensively rebuilt
Westbury Late 1400s Westbury becomes the centre of the cloth industry in the region
Wilton 1400s By this time the borough has declined and buildings are in a state of disrepair; Church of St Mary, Brede Street, rebuilt
Wiltshire 1400s Red cloth called Castlecombes made at Castle Combe and used by Sir John Fastolf, lord of the manor, to clothe his own trrops in the French wars

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN