If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1840

There were 15 items found.


Aldbourne 1840 Cottages in West Street converted into a Primitive Methodist chapel
Calne 1840 A Society for the Cultivation of Useful Knowledge is formed with a library of apolitical and uncontroversial books. (In 1872 it becomes the Calne Literary Institution and is wound up in 1905 - its library is transferred to the new library in New Road); Christchurch at Derry Hill is built
Chippenham 1840 The diarist Francis Kilvert born at Hardenhuish
Corsham 1840s National School for Girls founded
Cricklade 1840 A tannery and foundry in existence between Brook House and the river
Downton 1840 British school erected.
Hullavington 1840 Hullavington parish is half arable and half grassland, land worked by 10 farms
Melksham 1840 National School (later St. Michael's Church of England School) founded on site by the churchyard
Minety 1840 A Strict Baptist chapel built
Pewsey 1840 A new National School built in River Street
Purton 1840 Charity school closed
Sherston 1840 Mixed primary school built
Wilton 1840 The cloth industry is now in final decline with only 10 looms in operation
Wiltshire 1840 The diarist Francis Kilvert is born at Hardenhuish, where his father is vicar
Wootton Bassett 1840 There is a Post Office near the Royal Oak

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN