If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1858

There were 15 items found.


Aldbourne C.1858 High Town foundry closed; new National School opened
Box 1858 A new cemetery covering 3 acres was built, as the graveyard at the Church of St. Thomas à Becket was no longer able to be used
Broughton Gifford 1858 48 students attending Broughton Gifford school, 20 receiving free education.
Calne 1858 Sewers are laid in High Street and Curzon Street; a hospital for children is opened
Chippenham 1858 Railway Station built by Rowland Brotherhood using stone from the excavation of Box Tunnel
Corsham 1858 Hartham Park purchased by T. H. A. Poynder who begins to enlarge and improve the house using the designs of architct Philip Hardwick: Pickwick Elememtary School opens: Lady Methuen's School and the National School for girls amalgamated as Methuen Elementary School
Cricklade 1858 Fire engine with hand pump purchased and building erected in Bath Road to house it
Hullavington 1858 Stone rubble chapel improved
Marlborough 1858 St. Mary's School opened in Herd Street
Melksham 1858 Rachel Fowler founds and endows 5 almshouses
Minety 1858 Primitive Methodist chapel built
Pewsey 1858 A school held in the Union Workhouse is in existence by this time
Purton 1858 School built at Braydon
Westbury 1858 First bank in Westbury, the North Wilts Banking Co., opened
Wootton Bassett 1858 Primitive Methodist day school sold to the British & Foreign Society and becomes the British School

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN