If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1878

There were 14 items found.


Aldbourne 1878-1879 Bronze Age Barrows north of the village excavated by Canon Greenwell - finds which are now in the British Museum include the Aldbourne Cup
Amesbury 1878 Gas works built
Amesbury C.1878 Town brass band formed
Broughton Gifford 1878 The nave of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin is re-roofed and the organ chamber formed, first certificate of proficiency is awarded to the school. A Mrs Hopkins gives a silver mounted flagon to the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
Calne 1878 Street lighting installed at Derry Hill
Corsham 1878 Corsham Methodist Church built in Pickwick Road
Cricklade C.1878 Board School for Girls closed
Cricklade 1878 Front of Congregational chapel replaced
Minety 1878 Silver Street School was built, to cater for children in Lower Minety because of the railway
Pewsey 1878 Church of England Mission Room built at King's Corner
Ramsbury 1878 Mary Jane Lanfear bequeaths £600 to apprentice poor boys from Ramsbury and East Kennet
Sherston 1878 Reverand Morgan begins the Methodist Church Sunday School at the chapel
Wiltshire 1878 Le Marchant Barracks built in Devizes - home of the Wiltshire Regiment
Wootton Bassett 1878 £400 is spent on a drainage scheme for the town; a Baptist community is formed

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN