If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1880

There were 12 items found.


Aldbourne 1880 The last drunk locked up in the Blind House between Lottage Road and Baydon Street - the building is later demolished
Amesbury 1880s Police station built in Salisbury Street
Broughton Gifford 1880 Elizabeth Sly bequeathed £100 to Broughton Gifford to the incumbment and church wardens, the annual income is to be given to the poor. Wilkinson summed up the social conditions of Broughton Gifford as 'we are rather dull'.
Hullavington 1880 From this time there was a carrier to and from Bath and Chippenham every week from the Post Office
Melksham 1880 A piped water supply is provided by Trowbridge Water Company and a fountain is built in the market square in celebration; the Post Office is now in Bank Street
Pewsey 1880 Coffee house founded by Rev. Bertrand Pleydell Bouverie
Purton 1880s Children at the Cricklade and Wotton Bassett Union School transferred to the National School
Ramsbury 1880 There are 7 inns open in the village at this time
Sherston 1880 Clement Palser makes the court house a general warehouse
Westbury 1880s From this time the post office is in Edward Street
Wilton C.1880 Primitive Methodist Chapel moves from West Street to a new building in Kingsbury Square
Wootton Bassett 1880s There is a brick making business and 3 brickyards in the town; by this time the town is paved throughout

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN