If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1897

There were 10 items found.


Ashton Keynes 1897-1915 Captain Gouldsmith lived in Ashton House and the stable was extended at this time and a covered riding school was built in the grounds.
Corsham 1897 Mayo Drinking Fountain built in memory of Charles Mayo, first Vice-Chairman of the Parish Council: Fire Station opens in Stumps Lane (later Priory Street)
Cricklade 1897 Clock installed at main crossroads to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee - paid for by public subscription
Melksham 1897 Freemasons' Hall in Church Street built
Purton 1897 Brass eagle lectern given to St. Mary's church to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
Ramsbury C.1897 Last remaining tannery in High Street closed; schoolroom adjoining the Ebenezer Chapel rebuilt; Ramsbury Horticultural Society founded
Sherston 1897 Jubilee Tree erected to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, both planted and donated by Sir George Holford
Westbury 1897 Westbury and District Hospital opened in Westbourne Road; Technical School of Science and Art in Church Street built by William Henry Laverton
Wilton 1897 The Church House, West Street, built
Wiltshire 1897 The Army buys 40,000 acres of Salisbury Plain to use as training grounds.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN