If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Timeline for Date 1938

There were 11 items found.


Chippenham 1938 Chippenham Grammar School moves to Hardenhuish
Corsham 1938 Street name plates are installed: the post office moves to the High Street
Cricklade 1938 West Mill and the miller's house demolished; Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist congregations are amalgamated and services are held in the Calcutt Street chapel from this time
Melksham 1938 The Cottage Hospital is rebuilt in Spa Road
Minety 1938 Minety Observer Corps formed
Pewsey 1938 Sewage works built; Rex cinema built in High Street
Ramsbury 1938 The telephone exchange is automated and moved to a new building in Love's Lane; the parish builds its own fire engine; auxiliary fire service established
Sherston 1938 Parochial Church Council of the Holy Cross, Sherston, writes to the Bishop of Bristol asking for electric lights in the Church
Westbury 1938 Present police station built in Station Road; recreation ground provided; Roman Catholic church of St. Bernadette of Lourdes built
Wilton 1938 A third annual sheep fair, to be held in October, is introduced; Edith Olivier elected Wilton's first lady mayor; the Michael Herbert Hall completed
Wootton Bassett 1938 The monthly cattle market closes

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN